🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Changes in timeframes for project completion
Page options
b325114e
Community Member

Changes in timeframes for project completion

Hello,

I'm interested in a question like this:

Can a client change or delete the end dates of a fixed fee contract?

I saw a deadline date in the contract, and the day before that date, that clause in the contract disappeared altogether. There is only the project start date;

8 REPLIES 8
spectralua
Community Member

It is dont matter at all. Timeframe is your agreement with client.

I understand that, thank you. I have other reasons and need an answer to my question

b325114e
Community Member

I understand that, thank you. I have other reasons and need an answer to my question

yofazza
Community Member

What do you mean exactly, maybe you misread something? There's no deadline in the contract as far as I know. Clients shouldn't also be able to edit anything that requires your agreement (contract, money).

The deadline date has no effect in the system, it's more like just a 'reference' used by you and the client at the start.

Missing the deadline will not automatically close the project or something.

Sometimes you can see a client complaining in the forum about a freelancer who has missed the "initial deadline" by months. In other words you can miss the deadline by months without any penalty from the system.

b325114e
Community Member

I'm not worried about project deadlines. My situation is that the client set the deadline in the contract until August 27, and wrote in the messages. The project did not have a mobile version design, I asked the client if he needs adaptations, to which he replied "I am preparing, it will be soon". Tomorrow is the last day (per his request) but still no mobile version. I developed the site according to the provided design and within the deadline. Now he doesn't have time to provide complete information by August 27, and removes the deadline.

If I had all the information on the project, I would have completed it completely before this deadline.

Now it turns out that the rate of completion and full employment on the project comes down to 0.

That is, I expected to complete the project in 5 days and get a certain amount of money for those 5 days.

But now the client brings me to the situation to continue working when he finishes something, and what he asked for is not so important

yofazza
Community Member

This problem is not unusual.

Ideally, you should not accept that mobile version request. Both of you should agree on what you'll do in a milestone and stick with it. You then do the task, and click the button when it's done.

Let's put money aside, assuming you do plan to create the mobile version from the start anyway, we still don't know, what if the client takes weeks to provide you with that mobile version design?

You can keep waiting, or you can click the 'Submit Work for Payment' button with a note that you'll do the design later as a courtesy as it's not in the initial scope. You might want to say something very politely that indicates you cannot be left in uncertainty for an extended period.

By clicking the button, at least the client will be forced to do something.

b325114e
Community Member

Radia, thanks for the recommendation
I too believe that I have honestly worked the material provided by the client within the time limit. And anything he will add later will be additional milestones with additional payment and additional working time.

But I still didn't get an answer, can the client change or delete deadlines? If so, I will make it a rule in the future to confirm deadline dates in writing in communications, as well as take screenshots of contracts.

In this project, it's important for me to know the answer, because I assume that the client will pressure me to make him a mobile version at no extra cost. And by doing so, I can argue with the fact that the deadline was removed that it's not my problem that he didn't provide the information until the 27th and removed the deadline.

That's true on regular fixed price jobs. But, if you reach the deadline on a project catalog project the system gets rather hysterical, frantically prompting you no matter what the agreement with the client is.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members