Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes to Connects

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
1 of 818

Judging by the crickets, I'm guessing most freelancers haven't seen this announcement from early this morning: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Announcements/Upcoming-Changes-to-Connects/td-p/580451

Highlighted
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
2 of 818

Wow, didn't notice that. I predict this thread is going to blow up quick. 

Personally, I don't mind the change. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 818

Katrina B wrote:

Personally, I don't mind the change. 

Me neither. But yeah, time to get the popcorn...

Highlighted
Community Leader
Simon W Member Since: Mar 7, 2008
4 of 818

How can you not mind the change, they keep charging us more and more in fees and now require us to buy credits further pushing the costs up.

They use us like a cash machines while not giving a care in the world about making this platform better in the area it’s really failing in and that’s the clients. The level of clients on here gets worse by the day, they waste our time in bidding on jobs (and now waste our money) and never hire anyone, I get the feeling 99% of clients never have any intention of hiring but just use us to price their jobs put. And when they do hire most of the time despite saying they want pro's they go for the cheapest person they can find. Upwork should be screening clients better but that’s too much work for them, they would rather just screw us freelancers over while making themselves rich. 

It’s not even as if we get those credits back. They should be closing jobs and returning credits if there is no action taken on a job within a week or two but that only happens when a clients jobs falls foul of guidelines 

This used to be a great platform to work on but since the merger the owners have become a bunch of

**Edited for Community Guidelines** who are killing this place. 

Highlighted
Henry C Member Since: Apr 3, 2019
5 of 818

For a second I thought I was the only one that picked up on that this change was a cash grab. I believe the REAL reason this change took place is because Upwork did not get alot of freelancers upgrading to the plus accounts, so the decieded to get money out of the freelances another way.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Iga F Member Since: Dec 7, 2015
6 of 818

Upwork decided that medium jobs start from $50. I'm so done...

Highlighted
Jenny L Member Since: Jan 21, 2011
7 of 818

But they already got 20% out of our pay. Smiley LOL

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
ziad a Member Since: Apr 12, 2016
8 of 818
They are greedy and hungry for more.
Highlighted
Debbie G Member Since: May 12, 2015
9 of 818

This change is going to lose members quick. I'm not thrilled about it either

Highlighted
Lauren N Member Since: Sep 26, 2018
10 of 818

I agree. You made some great points and I am unhappy about this change. Why aren't clients charged $0.15 to post anything when in the end a lot of jobs do not even hire someone? I'd be curious to know the hiring percentage bc I have come across MANY 'fake' jobs....and I have to screen them PLUS pay for it?

The fact that we don't get the connects back if a job doesn't hire someone spells it all out. 

It seems like Upwork is squeezing its workers and that is wrong. This is financially motivated- if the connects were returned, then I could possibly see this plan having SOME of the merit Upwork claims. Until then, boooooo. Also, saying "it's only $5," is such a cop-out. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS