Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes to Connects

thejanning
Janning C Member Since: Apr 2, 2019
41 of 821

Lisa H wrote:

They are related in one way...

When I lived in Hollywood and had an agent, the agent took one-fifth or 20% of my pay. I was never charged to go on an audition.

Upwork is getting 20% of what I make (like the olden days) plus charging me to audition.

Over two thirds of the jobs I submit a proposal for are closed without anyone being hired.

If I pay the 15 cents to simply submit a proposal, and the company who posted then doesn't hire anyone, do I then get my 15 cents back?

What alert will I receive or how will I know if the company who posted the job actually hires someone or not?

So Upwork will pocket the 15 cents whether or not a freelancer is hired, or will Upwork deduct the cost of the audition from the 20% they make...

Have a fun and creative day!

That's a fascinating comparison.

I suppose this could potentially align Upwork's incentives with scammers since Upwork would be benefitting monetarily from clients that run fake auditions (post fake jobs for people to spend their Connects on), as long as the scammer never closes their job posts.

wholebeing
Graham C Member Since: May 13, 2019
42 of 821

Unless I'm seriously mistaken, the cost of doing business through Upwork includes 3 elements...

1. The cost of making a proposal to win the client (which has just gone up).

2. The Upwork commission, which starts at 20%, to deliver the project to the client.

3. The transaction fee of $1 which Upwork charges for withdrawing funds to Paypal.

and Upwork seems to be taking increasing amounts from Freelancers and Agencies who use the platform. 

I have seen ads for competing platforms on YouTube recently and I am not surprised. 

As I see it Upwork is getting too greedy.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
43 of 821

John L wrote:

an extra $5 and every job will cost more credits - up to 90cents just to apply for 1 job- just for the potential of getting that job.  This means if you only apply to big jobs then you can only apply for 11 jobs before that $15 runs out and you are then expected to buy more credits to continue.... Its a cash grab and fleecing on every point of the work process from applying to the fleecing during the actual job. 

If you're only applying to big jobs, would you be applying to more than 11 jobs/month? I haven't bid on Upwork in a long time, but when I did 10 proposals in a month was abnormally high. The average was more like five.

fmina69
Ace Contributor
Mina F Member Since: Jan 18, 2019
44 of 821

Well cetainly not everybody is like you. In fact I'd be surprised if there're too many like you.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
45 of 821

Mina F wrote:

Well cetainly not everybody is like you. In fact I'd be surprised if there're too many like you.

I know there are exceptions, but most of the people I know who are working steadily and successfully through Upwork bid very sparingly, if at all.

msublette
Community Leader
Michelle S Member Since: Jun 23, 2017
46 of 821

Tiffany S wrote:

Mina F wrote:

I know there are exceptions, but most of the people I know who are working steadily and successfully through Upwork bid very sparingly, if at all.

I think this is true.  But only from my personal experience.  It's rare that I even use 2 connects in a month.  My work on Upwork is steady, but it's only about 1/3-1/2 of my total work depending on the week or month.  The statement by Upwork about most freelancers having excess connects each month is definitely more likely for those who have a lot of repeat clients and invitations.  It seems contradictory to say that most freelancers have excess connects, but then say that making people pay for connects will cut down on the amount of spam applications.  If there are already so many leftover connects and lots of spammers, that means people are not using their connects generally will-nilly.  I'd say if Upwork only surveyed those who are really successful on the platform, they probably did see that those freelancers have extra connects.  That's because really successful freelancers get multiple invites a day and land 80% (guess) of the jobs they bid on.  But those who are not as successful or who are new are probably using all of their connects.  Personally, probably regardless of the cost of connects, if I had to bid on more than 5-10 jobs a month, I'd call my business unsuccessful here an move on.  It can take me 30 minutes to write a really great proposal for a "different" kind of job and more than a few of those a month would get monotonous very quickly.  My time is a lot more valuable than the $.15 that a connect will cost.  I'm sure many others will disagree with me and I do understand that my view is likely skewed by my personal experience here.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
47 of 821

Michelle S wrote:

Tiffany S wrote:

Mina F wrote:

I think this is true.  But only from my personal experience.  It's rare that I even use 2 connects in a month.  My work on Upwork is steady, but it's only about 1/3-1/2 of my total work depending on the week or month.  The statement by Upwork about most freelancers having excess connects each month is definitely more likely for those who have a lot of repeat clients and invitations.  It seems contradictory to say that most freelancers have excess connects, but then say that making people pay for connects will cut down on the amount of spam applications.  If there are already so many leftover connects and lots of spammers, that means people are not using their connects generally will-nilly.  I'd say if Upwork only surveyed those who are really successful on the platform, they probably did see that those freelancers have extra connects.  That's because really successful freelancers get multiple invites a day and land 80% (guess) of the jobs they bid on.  But those who are not as successful or who are new are probably using all of their connects.  Personally, probably regardless of the cost of connects, if I had to bid on more than 5-10 jobs a month, I'd call my business unsuccessful here an move on.  It can take me 30 minutes to write a really great proposal for a "different" kind of job and more than a few of those a month would get monotonous very quickly.  My time is a lot more valuable than the $.15 that a connect will cost.  I'm sure many others will disagree with me and I do understand that my view is likely skewed by my personal experience here.

I mostly depend on ongoing clients and the occasional new client. However, I don't know when I last wrote a full proposal. My usual (two-connect) proposals consist of asking the client for more details about the job. I sometimes get a reply and I sometimes don't. So I rarely apply for jobs, because there are very few to tempt me to waste (free connects) because there is generally such a poor job description. 

If I pay, which I don't mind in the right circumstances, then I want to know what I am paying for. I want to know about the client and I want full details about the job. 

fmina69
Ace Contributor
Mina F Member Since: Jan 18, 2019
48 of 821

I was actually embarrassed to say it, but I too spend much more than 10 minutes in most cases to write most of my proposals, and I don't think I ever wrote a one in less than 10 minutes. It's not like I don't value my time but I'm such an overthinker and a hesitater, more like a perfectionist, and I refuse to copy and paste even a part that I repeat every time in my proposals, that's why I might not spend all of my connects, because it's just time consuming and exhausting. And for the same reason I might not spend all of my connects (a reason that, as I've read, might be a one for why they've made that change), it also makes it very unfair and senseless to charge me because of "spammy" proposals.

fitzberg
Ace Contributor
Caroline A Member Since: Dec 26, 2014
49 of 821

considering 90 cents can buy fried rice or salad in my country (indonesia)

its really painful for us hahaha

myempire1
Debbie G Member Since: May 12, 2015
50 of 821

They should only charge for the connects if you get the job.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS