Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes to Connects

nosvan
Community Leader
Jose Daniel M Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
51 of 821

Care to mention these "certain" countries?

digiphics
Community Guru
Gerald S Member Since: Apr 1, 2018
52 of 821

I foresee this is a way of thinning the herd and seeing who on this platform are serious enough to stay. I know there will be a huge exodus of freelancers looking to move to other freelancer platforms. In the end, this will give the serious freelancers room to grow faster and remove the constant bombardment clients get from freelancers that try to underbid and spam clients. Is it bad enough that I have 20% taken off the top by UpWork? This is turning into a subscription based service where monthly fees will be at $49.99 a month. I'm not sure how to feel about this change. I know I've helped pay for the lights to stay on.. LOL

clkagmi
Clare L Member Since: May 4, 2016
53 of 821

I'm really, really concerned about this change because this is the second time since I've been on Upwork that they've added new charges which significantly effect the ability of freelancers to make a profit without warning.

I don't buy this "it's for your own good" thing one bit, any more than I bought it when they gave us the same line after doubling Upwork's share of freelancer fees on the first $500 of every freelancer-client relationship, which they claimed was to promote long-term relationships but was actually a huge, transparent money grab that destroyed the businesses of people whose business model was to do shorter projects such as resume writing.

I'm going to stay on Upwork because if I apply for only the largest projects from the most reputable and proven clients, this won't affect me much.

But I sure won't be bringing my own clients to Upwork anymore, and I'm going to start aggressively cultivating my presence on other platforms so that they can't totally monopolize the market and then keep raising prices whenever they want (which seems to be their business model right now).

mgmason1975
Community Leader
Matthew M Member Since: May 22, 2013
54 of 821

<blockquote>I'm going to start aggressively cultivating my presence on other platforms so that they can't totally monopolize the market</blockquote>

Yeah... I'm going to become passive on Upwork from May. they already take 24% cut on jobs (non-EU users probably don't know that not only do we surrender 20% to Upwork, on top of that is digital VAT charged at 20%) until that $500 threshold. Losing a quarter of my earnings is bad enough but paying for privilege to apply for jobs in the first place jsut leaves a sour taste in the mouth and I'm asking myself "what next?"

I don't expect to pitch for any work on here after my carried connects expire.

tamimarieb
Tami B Member Since: Feb 17, 2017
55 of 821

I agree. We already have to deal with a percentage taken off our work paid for, which I was fine with, but now I have to pay to even apply for a job. When you go for job interviews you don't pay the employer to interview there. I see why Upwork is doing it, to thin out the people who aren't really in the game here, but it does bother me.

adrengski
Mark Adrian T Member Since: Nov 22, 2011
56 of 821

Is there even a guarantee that this will work though? Or will it end up like the original Connects announcement? Should we expect another hike some time in the future because they still need to "thin out the herd"?

The previous one obviously wasn't working. If that was really their concern, they need to explore another approach. Not make the one that wasn't working worse.

melaniekhenson
Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
57 of 821

Mark Adrian T wrote:

Is there even a guarantee that this will work though? Or will it end up like the original Connects announcement? Should we expect another hike some time in the future because they still need to "thin out the herd"?

The previous one obviously wasn't working. If that was really their concern, they need to explore another approach. Not make the one that wasn't working worse.

If experience is an indication, no, there's no guarantee, and this could change again in a heartbeat. But if/when it does, the change will be based on whether it's working well for UW, because UW is a business. It won't be because UW feels for us freelancers.

I'm glad to have this platform but I'm under no illusion that UW bigwigs sit up at night worrying that things might be harder for Melanie in California. Smiley Tongue IMO If change happens again it will be because the change is failing the clients - the literal source of the money - and for no other reason.

So we'll see how this all shakes out.

adrengski
Mark Adrian T Member Since: Nov 22, 2011
58 of 821

I'm under no illusion either. And I also understand the benefits Upwork gives me. But that doesn't mean I'll just shut up and pretend like a bad change is for the good and let them claim it's for us (me).

Based on experience, I doubt any of this shouting and whining will change their decision. May and June will come and they'll roll it out like we never happened. But I'm not just gonna let it pass without saying a word. At the very least, I want them to know it's a bad change.

And please don't give me the "clients are the literal source of the money" crap because they've been taking 10-20% off from me for 7 years. Sure the money comes from the clients but that money is technically my money I paid them for their service as a middle-man. I, as a freelancer, am Upwork's client just as much as the clients are.

superwork234
Cindy R Member Since: Jan 10, 2019
59 of 821

Honestly, I would have been less offended/resistant to the change, which is small for us but hugely profitable for Upwork,  had it not been for carefully crafted corporate justification that landed like a thud:   this change is good for you!  Like spinach!  Like eating all your peas!  

Give me a break!  We're not children.  We can tell when you're self justifying rather than being straight and transparent.   Most of us run our own companies and many of us have actually had to message hard decisions we've had to make.    Here's my advice to Upwork's corporate communication's department: next time, try not to treat your audience like idiots, and you'll get further.  

melaniekhenson
Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
60 of 821

Cindy R wrote:

Honestly, I would have been less offended/resistant to the change, which is small for us but hugely profitable for Upwork,  had it not been for carefully crafted corporate justification that landed like a thud:   this change is good for you!  Like spinach!  Like eating all your peas!  

Give me a break!  We're not children.  We can tell when you're self justifying rather than being straight and transparent.   Most of us run our own companies and many of us have actually had to message hard decisions we've had to make.    Here's my advice to Upwork's corporate communication's department: next time, try not to treat your audience like idiots, and you'll get further.  

I agree with this. Any business will raise prices every so often. I don't mind the change but I do feel a bit like "don't treat me like a child" due to the phrasing. Honestly, I just think it wasn't necessary, but OTOH I do get that corporate must have realized there was going to be a ton of screaming about this, so they figured they had to come up with something that would sound good.

If Upwork wants to raise prices, they don't need to try to figure out a way to justify it, IMO. When I've raised my prices as a freelancer, I didn't try to make up some reason that would sound great to my clients. I raise my rates for my own reasons and they can choose me or not. Smiley Happy

If a client were to say, "You're greedy! You can't justify an X% raise in your prices when cost of living was only Y% this year! You're not thinking of MY needs before yours! That means you're a bad person! Why aren't you trying to help ME? You already charge such outrageous rates for just sitting there typing stuff that it's practically highway robbery! How greedy can any one person be?" I'd just smile and thank them for their time and allow them to choose someone else, but Upwork doesn't have that luxury, LOL. They have to hear it all, down to the last complaint.

So they tacked their own raise onto our connects and then they probably just all sat back with their flame-resistant suits on.

Raise prices, add prices, I don't demand an explanation any more than I'd feel I had to justify a price increase of my own and make sure it was an acceptable enough "reason" for my customers.

But again...I can see why Upwork felt they had to do it this way. The proof is right here, on like a bazillion new screaming threads all merged onto this one. I wonder if it's going to rival the JSS thread one day. Smiley Very Happy

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS