Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes to Connects

the3dguru
Ace Contributor
Steven T Member Since: Oct 12, 2015
61 of 821

If Upwork really wanted to thin the herd of spammers they could have just reduced the number of free connects signficantly. I only apply for a few projects each month and usually have almost all of the connects left. Despite that I will also have to pay to make "serious" bids.

If I saw a project that showed somebody apparently not understanding the work they want I would sometimes "bid" as a means of discussing the project with them, without intending to take the project. Now every bid is going to become a gamble of my certainty of getting a project vs. the cost of bidding. Any client that writes an unconvincing or incomplete project description isn't going to get any feedback.

On that note, I guess this change won't also give the ability to discuss the project with the client before bidding?

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
62 of 821

Steven T wrote:

Any client that writes an unconvincing or incomplete project description isn't going to get any feedback.

That sounds like good news. Freelancers are forever coming here for help after they've gotten into a mess by agreeing to a contract that didn't have clear parameters. Maybe when clients don't get a response to their sloppy, insufficient postings, they'll write better ones. 

the3dguru
Ace Contributor
Steven T Member Since: Oct 12, 2015
63 of 821

I agree, it could be a postive thing because some of the clients really do need to put more effort in the project descriptions. But either they will learn to improve the postings or maybe they will give up in frustration.

I suspect that a complete lack of response isn't going to teach them anything at all. People generally don't learn from a lack of information. Maybe Upwork could help with that? If a project gets no decent replies, perhaps somebody at Upwork could suggest changes that might make it more likely to get a response.

Freelancers are certainly going to be less inclined to take a gamble on a 'maybe' looking project. So I guess that will mean the descriptions are going to need to be more concrete.

thejanning
Janning C Member Since: Apr 2, 2019
64 of 821

Re: "Thinning the herd"

Wasn't pre-screening freelancer profiles supposed to be the way to eliminate (minimize) fake or low-quality freelancer accounts?

thejanning
Janning C Member Since: Apr 2, 2019
65 of 821

Janning C wrote:

Re: "Thinning the herd"

Wasn't pre-screening freelancer profiles supposed to be the way to eliminate (minimize) fake or low-quality freelancer accounts?

Follow-up (to my own post):

What interesting timing.  I just got a message from the Upwork Help Center flagging my freelancer profile.  Smiley LOL  I can't share the message, since it would be against Community Guidelines I guess, but it is certainly starting to seem like Upwork is pretty consistent with insufficiently explaining their actions.  (Yes, I also hear those of you who feel like no one owes anyone any kind of explanation, yaddah-yaddah.)

I've always received the most cordial treatment as a client (even if I can't make a similar claim about effectiveness), but as a community participant and a freelancer, I can certainly see there is a huge disparity in how the same person can be treated in different roles.  This doesn't sit well with me.

At this point, I really don't understand why freelancers would want to bring clients to this platform (other than to boost their Upwork profile) when they can use any other online escrow service to ensure payment.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
66 of 821

Since I know I can't avoid  the changes and now invites are at an all-time low, I'm just gonna protest in Corgi memes.

dzadza
Community Guru
Sanja D Member Since: Dec 18, 2013
67 of 821

I cancelled my membership just in time ;-)

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
68 of 821

I need to cancel too. This new change adds an extra headache onto things because you have to figure out how many connects to buy every month. The $15.00 (blah $14.99 calculation left in my account...like my god now I have to figure out the extra penny) is just a convenience fee so you don't have to think about it.

msublette
Community Leader
Michelle S Member Since: Jun 23, 2017
69 of 821

I'm really surprised to hear that invites are low right now.  I get several every day and honestly it's a pain to decline them all the time.  Today I even had a talent agent email me about a enterprise invite that I got yesterday and haven't responded to because it's probably going to take more than 5 minutes to correct the wrong info in the job post.  I haven't used any of my connects in ages.  If I see an interesting post, I usually just wait a day or two and I eventually get an invite to it.  But I do understand this is not the case for most domains.  I am curious to see how many connects (1-6!) it will cost to bid on jobs that are relelvant to me.  When I read the email abou the changes, I was under the impression that I could buy connects as I needed them, not have to buy them in one lump at a time.  So I won't have to predict how many I need. I'd just pay a fee each time I bid on a job.  It seems like it would just be easier at this point to do away the entire connects system and assign a cost to bidding on each job.

clkagmi
Clare L Member Since: May 4, 2016
70 of 821

Why would you want to assign a cost to bidding for each job in a system that previously allowed freelancers to apply to 30+ jobs each month for no cost at all?

This is the second time Upwork has raised their prices significantly or added new fees for freelancers since I joined three years ago, and I personally am going to stop bringing my own clients to the platform if Upwork is going to add surprise costs on freelancers on a regular basis when it's already making hundreds of dollars per month off the payments my clients make for my services.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS