cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes to Connects

sydney-mansaray
Sydney M Member Since: Mar 15, 2018
71 of 821

Definitely no crickets. I spent 30 minutes on the phone with them trying to hear real justification for this decision. They merely referred me to the community forums. 

My post was merely seconds before yours! 

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/In-addition-to-the-10-20-cut-of-our-profits-we-now-have-...

Might be the push I need to simply eliminate the middle man and start making ALL the money I am earning. 

*Sigh*

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
72 of 821

Sydney M wrote:

Might be the push I need to simply eliminate the middle man and start making ALL the money I am earning. 

I hope that works well for you. I didn't use freelancing platforms at all during the first 25+ years of my freelancing career, and I made a healthy living without them.When I stumbled on Upwork (at the request of a client), I was shocked to discover how much time and money it saved me. The 10% they charge on most jobs is a tiny fraction of what the average freelancer loses in billable time by handling marketing and administration on their own. Through Upwork, my working hours are 90-95% billable.

I stopped taking on new Upwork clients when the new TOS seized perpetual control of the referral chain, but on strict profitability it was MUCH cheaper for me to connect with new clients through Upwork than on my own...and that's with decades of experience and a very strong referral network.

tlsanders
Community Guru
73 of 821

Clare L wrote:

Why would you want to assign a cost to bidding for each job in a system that previously allowed freelancers to apply to 30+ jobs each month for no cost at all?

Because that godawful system resulted in potential clients being drowned in spam to the point that they left the platform without hiring anyone.

swakefield
Community Leader
Simon W Member Since: Mar 7, 2008
74 of 821

Michelle S wrote:

I'm really surprised to hear that invites are low right now.  I get several every day and honestly it's a pain to decline them all the time.  Today I even had a talent agent email me about a enterprise invite that I got yesterday and haven't responded to because it's probably going to take more than 5 minutes to correct the wrong info in the job post.  I haven't used any of my connects in ages.  If I see an interesting post, I usually just wait a day or two and I eventually get an invite to it.  But I do understand this is not the case for most domains.  I am curious to see how many connects (1-6!) it will cost to bid on jobs that are relelvant to me.  When I read the email abou the changes, I was under the impression that I could buy connects as I needed them, not have to buy them in one lump at a time.  So I won't have to predict how many I need. I'd just pay a fee each time I bid on a job.  It seems like it would just be easier at this point to do away the entire connects system and assign a cost to bidding on each job.

How many of those invites are legit though 90% of mine are people who invite you, never respond and never hire anyone. They are clients who simply use upwork as a free way to price in jobs and then use our bids to lowball freelancers elsewhere.

And you can guarantee jobs won’t cost 1 credit, when they introduced them it was 1-4 credits with them saying most would be 1 but it ended up being 2 even for some $10 jobs I applied for (as they were basically 10mins of work, I’m fine with a dollar a minute). So if they give us a figure of the average we may as well assume in reality it will be double what they say

kdgcom
Ace Contributor
Logan K Member Since: Mar 28, 2011
75 of 821
I've never seen any job that was anything other than 2 connects. They are liars and scammers.
I've had many invites from Upwork community blah blahs. None of those invites have ever landed me a job and 99.9% of those jobs never get filled at all. (I've monitored some of them on my own time)

IMO, Upwork is going to start charging for connects and then manipulate the number of connects needed.
I can imagine that most jobs will require at least $1 by the time it's all said and done. Or roughly 6 connects.
ilovevoiceover
Lisa H Member Since: Dec 19, 2017
76 of 821

Maybe this happens to you. Over two thirds of the jobs I submit a proposal for are closed without anyone being hired.

I assume that job posters do not want as many freelances to apply. Adding a submission cost will certainly deter freelancers from applying or submitting a proposal.

If I pay the 15 cents to simply submit a proposal, and the company who posted then doesn't hire anyone, do I then get my 15 cents back?

What alert will I receive or how will I know if the company who posted the job actually hires someone or not? Will Upwork just pocket the 15 cents whether or not a freelancer is hired?

Thanks for shedding some light. Much appreciated. Have a fun and creative day.

~Lisa

crossh2001
Henry C Member Since: Apr 3, 2019
77 of 821

I do not think you are the only one this has happened to. Right now I have been trying to get in contact with someone who posted a job and later responed to my proposal asking when would be a good time to chat. I gave him the times I am available in both Paicific and Eastern time zones, he said he would call, and I still has not heard one ring from him in about a week. And that is not counting the previous week it took to get back in contact with him to let him know I was still interested in the job.

hfspeegle
Community Guru
Heath S Member Since: Mar 16, 2016
78 of 821

Yeah, I'm good with the changes too. My kneejerk reaction to the extra $5 a month for freelancer plus was negative at first, but then I remembered I just deduct that monthly charge on my taxes as a business expense.

martina_plaschka
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
79 of 821

I don't see the rationale why this will lead to more hirings. I guess they assume that clients are exasperated by too many proposals, shrug and leave? I don't get it...

tlsanders
Community Guru
80 of 821

Martina P wrote:

I don't see the rationale why this will lead to more hirings. I guess they assume that clients are exasperated by too many proposals, shrug and leave? I don't get it...

That's not really an assumption. It's pretty well documented (and not just on Upwork) that many clients abandon postings when they're flooded with junk bids or dozens of virtually identical proposals. 

I'm not sure how much difference this will make, but indiscriminate bidding definitely sends at least some clients running for the hills. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS