Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes to Connects

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
81 of 821

I hope it will eliminate a lot of fake freelancer accounts who may not have fake credit cards / verified PayPal accounts backed by a card to match their fake identity...

f0d6aa6b
Ace Contributor
Manilal B Member Since: Aug 2, 2017
82 of 821

maybe not yet! valeria has answered on a diff thread that connects can be bought with upwork balance (similar to how its now) & do not necessarily need a payment method.

petra_r
Community Guru
83 of 821

Manilal B wrote:

maybe not yet! valeria has answered on a diff thread that connects can be bought with upwork balance (similar to how its now) & do not necessarily need a payment method.

Wrong. You have to have a verifiedpayment method on file to buy connects, even if you use your balance to pay for them.

f0d6aa6b
Ace Contributor
Manilal B Member Since: Aug 2, 2017
84 of 821

Okie... got it.. for a long time I have been using upwork balance for PLUS or connects & didn't much rem'er my connected billing methods at all.

clkagmi
Clare L Member Since: May 4, 2016
85 of 821

Do they have something similar in the works to crack down on clients who are offering hilariously tiny budgets?

Because I'm constantly inundated with invitations from people who want a writer to ghostwrite a book for them for $200 or something absurd like that, and charging freelancers for the privilege of applying to the minority of decently paying jobs on the platform seems like a rather one-sided solution to the problem (and honestly just reminds me of how they doubled their fees on the first $500 of client-freelancer relationships a couple years back just because they could).

hermanng
Community Leader
Hermann M Member Since: Jul 8, 2018
86 of 821

JOIN THE CLUB LOL  -  I charge $35 - $45 per hour and am top rated and just got an invitation by an UpWork talent scout to apply for a job with an Indian company that has a history of paying $3.00 per hour. I frequently get those invitations also directly from companies and when looking at their pay rate history don't really want to waste my time because one never hears of them again

fatig
Ace Contributor
Iga F Member Since: Dec 7, 2015
87 of 821

The explanation is laughable, I would be less annoyed if they simply admitted they want to make more dough. No one is buying the lie Smiley Frustrated 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
88 of 821

Iga F wrote:

The explanation is laughable, I would be less annoyed if they simply admitted they want to make more dough. No one is buying the lie Smiley Frustrated 

Most companies want to make more money. But, I don't think they're trying to make it a few cents at a time by selling connects. I think they're trying to make it by driving a couple of hundred thousand unproftable freelancers off the platform and upgrading the level of marketplace.

petra_r
Community Guru
89 of 821

Tiffany S wrote:

Iga F wrote:

Most companies want to make more money. But, I don't think they're trying to make it a few cents at a time by selling connects. I think they're trying to make it by driving a couple of hundred thousand unproftable freelancers off the platform and upgrading the level of marketplace.

Thank you, I was going to respond with the exact same thing, you saved me the effort.

digiphics
Community Guru
Gerald S Member Since: Apr 1, 2018
90 of 821

Yes, Improve the marketplace and do get rid of the low level freelancers that constantly bombard clients.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS