🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Changing Address and Tax Information
Page options
sprochaska
Community Member

Changing Address and Tax Information

Hi, I'm having a problem. I live in both the US and the Czech Republic. I want to change my address from the Czech Republic to the US so I can use my bank info, but I can't do that until I give my tax information. I can't fill out my tax information until I change my address. Can you please tell me how to fix this?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Stephanie: Although this limitation may be disappointing, Upwork does not currently have a way to allow freelancers to identify two separate current countries of residence. Its user interface and database structure require a freelancer to specify a single country in which that freelancer resides.

It is Upwork's intention that this be the country of "current" residence.

So Upwork is not concerned with where you were you born, or your nationality, or which country you have a bank account in, or which country you maintain a mailing address in, etc.

It wants you to specify the country you live in now as your place of residence.

With regards to bank accounts and payment withdrawal methods: Upwork actually allows ANY freelancer to have a U.S. bank account and withdraw their money to such an account, regardless of the freelancer's nationality or place of residence.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Stephanie,

I checked your account and would like to confirm that the verification is still in progress for your payment method. 
Please keep in mind that your address needs to reflect your location. If you move to the US in the future you will be able to update your address as well. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thanks for getting back to me. I don't see any payments yet, so I think the verficiation is still pending.

I do have an address in the US and a US bank account. Does this mean I'm not allowed to use either of them?

Stephanie: Although this limitation may be disappointing, Upwork does not currently have a way to allow freelancers to identify two separate current countries of residence. Its user interface and database structure require a freelancer to specify a single country in which that freelancer resides.

It is Upwork's intention that this be the country of "current" residence.

So Upwork is not concerned with where you were you born, or your nationality, or which country you have a bank account in, or which country you maintain a mailing address in, etc.

It wants you to specify the country you live in now as your place of residence.

With regards to bank accounts and payment withdrawal methods: Upwork actually allows ANY freelancer to have a U.S. bank account and withdraw their money to such an account, regardless of the freelancer's nationality or place of residence.

Hi.I am from Bangladesh.Now I am living in Dubai. Working here a a foreign service provider. Can i do work on upwork using location Dubai.And will i get payment in my country's bank.
Is there any problem if i am Bangladeshi but bidding from Dubai.And payment method also Bangladeshi Bank.
Thanks in advance.

Hi Md Shakil,

I would like to clarify that for tax purposes, you must use your real, permanent address. To update your location simply go to Settings > Contact Info and update the Location section of the page. Please make sure you have an appropriate visa type or permit to work in a country you are situated in and pay taxes accordingly. 

You can find payment methods available in your country by going to your Settings> Get Paid and clicking Add a Payment method. Check out this help article for more information.

It is best to talk to a local legal and/or tax advisor to find out about the best ways for you to register your business and report your Upwork income to your local tax authorities.

~ Nikola
Upwork
58d6d4b6
Community Member

Please can I correct a mistake on my Tin number 

Hi Annette,

You should be able to update your TIN on your end by going to Settings > Tax Information using the pencil icon. 

~Andrea
Upwork

Hi Stephanie,

You`re more than welcomed to use your US bank account or any other preferred payment method. I would like to note that presenting misleading information is a violation of our TOS.

Your address needs to reflect your current location. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
3b4ae7b3
Community Member

Hi, 

I have a confusion. I updated my address for billing as a Pakistani address and verify my location and account last month with my London, UK location. Because I am currently in the UK.

And facing the pending status of my payment.

Am I doing something worng?

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Usman, 

Are you referring to your earnings that are under the Pending tab here? Your earnings on Upwork are processed according to the Weekly Billing Cycle. Payments released for fixed-price contracts go through a 5-day security period and will be available to you once the security period is over. 

For hourly contracts, all the hours logged are automatically invoiced to your client, and funds become available following the Weekly Billing Cycle. Kindly check the schedule below:

• Week 1 – Freelancer logs time using the Upwork desktop app and Work Diary.
  • Week 2 – Hours within the weekly limit invoice to your clients on Monday. They have until Friday to review the work. Then the review period ends.
  • Week 3 – Earnings become available on the following Wednesday.

You may read through each tab to know when you should expect the payment to be available on your account. If you check your Reports page (Reports > Overview), you will see where in the billing cycle the payment is. If the payment is in the Pending tab, it's already in the security period.

You might want to review the information shared in the article I linked above for more information regarding the Weekly Billing Cycle. 

I can also see that you are yet to submit your Form W-8BEN. Kindly edit the form by visiting this page and submit it once you've filled up the needed information. This form confirms that you are not a U.S. person. Here's more information about it.

~ Avery
Upwork
a774cce1
Community Member

Hi, I have entered all the tax information and now my CNIC(also tax identification number is showing in "*****". How I can view my whole CNIC.
Thanks

Hi Abid,

Thank you for your message. The tax information is masked for security purposes after saving your details. You can click the pen icon and select the 'Update' button to view the information.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members