Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Changing Job Description After Hired

Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
11 of 48

Lena, (or any mod please)

You ask me if the job description changed after I was hired. I answered, but you never replied back. My ticket with customer support was closed and I was told basically that the client had the right to change the job description. 

I still would like to know how they can change a job description after someone is hired? I know that the job was left open and two other people hired as well as myself. But how can my job description be allowed to change after I was hired and during the interview the terms discussed. I don't feel that a client should be allowed to change a job description after the hire.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
12 of 48

When is Upwork going to become a professional site for professional people both clients and freelancers?

In the B & M world a person does NOT get interviewed for a specific job, hired and then told,  'Actually, instead of heading up HR, you are going to be stacking shelves.'

What is more, a freelancer wastes a connect to apply for a job that doesn't exist. This is fraudulent.

Get real Upwork.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
13 of 48

[redacted by poster for ambiguity]

Highlighted
Community Guru
14 of 48

@Douglas Michael M wrote:
Psshht! And people are fretting in another thread about providers being hypothetically able to edit our cover letters more than 5 minutes after submitting them.

Douglas,

I started the thread you are referring to and this to me very serious, that a job description can be changed after being hired. It is wrong and I honestly would like to know why it is being allowed. I was hired on a job that the entire description was changed after I was hired and skills I did not have were added to it. I was invited to the original one liner job and interviewed for a whole different set of skills. When the job ended I was marked down on skills, but I didn't have skills that were in the job listing nor did I agree to any of those job skills when I was hired, but the job description had been changed. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
15 of 48

Suzanne,

I am sorry for seeming to take your serious concern here lightly. Thank you for pointing that out.

I was not clear in attempting to invoke the contrast between your serious concern here and what I consider the unnecessary "compromise" proposed elsewhere about contractors being able to edit their cover letters for errors, or update them for new information.

Best,
Michael

Highlighted
Community Guru
16 of 48

Nichola,

I agree. Clients should not be allowed to change the job description after a hire, but it  happened in my case, and was mentioned in another thread today that the client changed the description without notice.

I was told when I ask CS about it that I needed to speak with the client on it as he had the right. I wanted to know why it is allowed. It leaves it open for clients to scam the freelancers by stating they didn't do the job they were hired for or at worst have the JS marked down for not completing a job they choose not to do any longer.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
17 of 48

I find Upwork's stance on this quite inexplicable and totally unacceptable. How can a client be allowed to post a job which a freelancer is qualified to do, and then suddenly alter the whole game plan and expect the freelancer to go along with it?

How can any business be run in this way?

Highlighted
Community Guru
18 of 48

Mods,

Why is no one answering my questions? I really would like to know why a client can change a job description after a hire. 

Valeria stated:

Note that job offers once accepted cannot be edited and contain the final terms that both client and freelancer agree upon during interview. 

But this was not the case with a job I was hired on. The job was left open after I was hired and the job description and terms changed in my job description as well as the other two who were hired. Why is a job decription allowed to be changed after a hire?

I was marked down on skills because of this. I was hired for a whole different set of skills. I did not have the skills that were added to the job description, but I also had not agreed to new job description. If job descriptions are going to change I think that at least we should get a notice with "I accept or I agree" 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
19 of 48
Keep up the pressure Suzanne.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Highlighted
Community Guru
20 of 48

@Setu M wrote:
Keep up the pressure Suzanne.

Setu,

It is a bit frustrating that so many have been quiet and not bothered to post their opinion on this topic. This is something to affects everyone. I don't feel it is right that a client can change the job description to whatever they feel they want to. And as far as CS telling me to speak to the client, the client whenhe changed it and I said something said and so what I can...

This is something that affects all of our JS and even if it was the star rating only affects that. A client should not be able to change the job description and change the terms of the job after someone is hired even if the job is left open and others hired for the job(s).

I wish more people would chime in here as it affects all of us. This is not an issue just about me. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS