cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Proposal Terms from Hourly to Milestone Payments

David W Member Since: Apr 4, 2018
1 of 11

As an active freelancer, I receive quite a few proposals from prospective clients. Usually the payment terms are Hourly, is there any way for the Freelancer to modify/change the payment terms to Milestone?

Thanks, Dave

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
2 of 11

@David W wrote:

As an active freelancer, I receive quite a few proposals from prospective clients. Usually the payment terms are Hourly, is there any way for the Freelancer to modify/change the payment terms to Milestone?

Thanks, Dave

You have to agree this with your client. Sometimes clients state hourly but then are quite happy to change to a fixed rate. But you must agree this with the  client before the contract is confirmed..The only way to change from hourly to fixed-price on a confirmed contract, is to  cancel the contract and set it up again. 

Community Leader
Moutacim L Member Since: Mar 13, 2018
3 of 11

--We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
Mother Teresa
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
4 of 11

Moutacim,

The freelancer cannot set the milestone. The freelancer can agree to the amount or not, but cannot set it themselves. 

There are no milestones on an hourly job. On an hourly contract, the client decides how many hours he or she wishes the freelancer to work. 

ETA: Just to avoid confusion: when  a freelancer sees a proposal at a fixed price and agrees to that price, the amount seen in the proposal, does not always match the amount that is paid into escrow. That is why it is always wise to check the amount paid into escrow before agreeing to the job. 

Community Leader
5 of 11

Sorry Nichola for the confusion,

of course the freelancer can't set the milestone.

I mean to set the milestone within the proposal.

He chooses the milestone given by the client.

Otherwise I would contradict my own statement Smiley Very Happy

--We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
Mother Teresa
Community Leader
6 of 11

Hi David,

its the client who can set payment for his project.

Is it a fixed price, or hourly ?

If the client post hourly job, then you won't be able to set milestones unless approved from client.

If its a fixed job, then you can set milestones.

So it depends on the job.

Mother Teresa
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
7 of 11

@David W wrote:

Thanks, Dave

David, I usually just say, "I have bid my regular hourly rate in accordance with the format of your posting, but usually do this type of work on a fixed-rate basis at X per Y." Then, the client sends a fixed-rate offer.

David W Member Since: Apr 4, 2018
BEST ANSWER
8 of 11

Thanks for the input everyone. I just wish there was an easy walkthrough to send clients showing how to revise the proposal and set milestones, etc. I've already lost a few proposals because the client never properly revised! If there was something easy I could send them it would at least help a little. Thanks!

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
9 of 11

@davidhwilkersonwrote:

Thanks for the input everyone. I just wish there was an easy walkthrough to send clients showing how to revise the proposal and set milestones, etc. I've already lost a few proposals because the client never properly revised! If there was something easy I could send them it would at least help a little. Thanks!

Hourly to fixed: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062368-Switch-Contract-Type-Hourly-or-Fixed-Price

Client has "Withdraw Offer" and "Modify Offer" options on their View Offer page. The current offer would be withdrawn and a new one created with new terms.

But as stated, this has to happen before a contract is in place.

Dana B Member Since: Apr 3, 2019
10 of 11
Hi there,

I am in the process of coming to an agreement with my first client on Upwork. They are also new to Upwork. I asked that we switch the project to a fixed rate and set up a few milestones. I've been a design professional for 15 years. With new clients, I never begin a project without a deposit. This should be a requirement by Upwork. Their status also says Payment Not Verified. I would like the assurance that the first milestone will be funded.

I'm also uncomfortable with the high hourly rate that Upwork takes from the freelancer, and the fact that it would take fully ten days to be paid using the Hourly system, according to the documentation.

Any tips on how the client can change this project to fixed rate with a milestone? There is no offer yet.

Thanks so much for your time.

Dana
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS