🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Changing contract from hourly to fixed-pr...
Page options
r_satta
Community Member

Changing contract from hourly to fixed-price with milestones

Hello, I don't know where to post this issue since I am a freelancer but I'm asking for a client. We agreed to change a contract from hourly to fixed-price with milestones, if it is possible how do we do it? Or do we have to close the contract and re-hire with a fixed-price one?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
opsogreen1
Community Member

Hi Rob,

You have to end it. Because there are no options to change it. So end it. And tell him/her to re-hire with fixed price.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
opsogreen1
Community Member

Hi Rob,

You have to end it. Because there are no options to change it. So end it. And tell him/her to re-hire with fixed price.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Imran K wrote:

Hi Rob,

Hope this helps.

Thanks

I thought so. Kinda disappointed in this useless bureaucracy Smiley Sad

Imran K wrote:

Hi Rob,

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Whoa, whoa, whoa!

It depends on the state of the contract. Has the offer been accepted and the contract thus created? Or is the job still at the offer stage, in which case switching is easy and fairly obvious?

Circumstance vary, of course, but that's the stage at which to have this conversation with the client.

Douglas Michael M wrote:

Whoa, whoa, whoa!

It depends on the state of the contract. Has the offer been accepted and the contract thus created? Or is the job still at the offer stage, in which case switching is easy and fairly obvious?

Circumstance vary, of course, but that's the stage at which to have this conversation with the client.

Well, I thought there was no need to explain that the contract was active, since the other case that you mention is not even a contract. 
Especially since I mentioned to "close a contract" which implies that there is inedeed a contract

Hi guys,
I need a little help. I have an existing contract with a client that was created on a fixed price basis and it was paid off but not closed, so my question is the following: there are a couple of add ons that need to be finished and we agreed on hourly rate, so is it possible to add hourly payment as a continuation of the same contract?

Dushan P wrote:
there are a couple of add ons that need to be finished and we agreed on hourly rate, so is it possible to add hourly payment as a continuation of the same contract?

No, you'd have to end the contract and start an hourly one, or do the add ons as an extra milestone (or several).

It is possible to send bonus payments to a freelancer - using a current open contract OR a closed contract.

Bonus payments have no Upwork protection associated with them. They are done on the honor system. But if a client and freelancer trust each other, they provide an additional alternative way of handling additional requests.

But if you already agreed to handle the additional work using hourly payments, then follow Petra's advice and simply create a new hourly contract. It is easy to do that and in my opinion is the most effective thing for the client to do.

Thank you! I really appreciate your advice.
0f6934dc
Community Member

really its good

Thank you!
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths