🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Changing job requirements and pay
Page options
9e1156d4
Community Member

Changing job requirements and pay

So I posted a job I needed help with for what my total budget was ($300). I recieved many responses from some unbelievably talented people. I originally planned on hiring just one person but now think I may go with 3 or 4 and a lower rate per project with slightly different requirements.

Is it ok to change the job description and pay AFTER a few people have responded (not hired yet)? I have a much better idea what I need now and what's available and am actually increasing my budget, just changing my approach and pay per person. 

Thanks in advance for any advice!

3 REPLIES 3
grimesr
Community Member

As a freelancer, I would prefer you tell those who made a proposal that you are closing the project and opening a new one that better states you current desires. As a freelancer, there is not (unless I am mistaken) any way to resubmit my proposal if the job changes or there is clarification. Thus I would never be able to restate how I would successfully complete your new project definition. Also, I would get back the connnects (again, if I am not mistaken). As a freelancer, I may not want to rebid on the new project.

Others more cynical, might think you are doing a bait and switch.

mtngigi
Community Member

Robert G wrote:

As a freelancer, I would prefer you tell those who made a proposal that you are closing the project and opening a new one that better states you current desires. As a freelancer, there is not (unless I am mistaken) any way to resubmit my proposal if the job changes or there is clarification. Thus I would never be able to restate how I would successfully complete your new project definition. Also, I would get back the connnects (again, if I am not mistaken). As a freelancer, I may not want to rebid on the new project.

Robert G wrote:

If he reaches out to applicants he is interested in, then changes certainly can be clarified and discussed in order to reach a mutual agreement. As I read his question, I don't see a "bait and switch" ploy. Many clients have no idea of budget or how they should phrase their RFPs - sometimes they become better educated by the content of the bids they receive.

mtngigi
Community Member

Jason N wrote:

So I posted a job I needed help with for what my total budget was ($300). I recieved many responses from some unbelievably talented people. I originally planned on hiring just one person but now think I may go with 3 or 4 and a lower rate per project with slightly different requirements.

Is it ok to change the job description and pay AFTER a few people have responded (not hired yet)? I have a much better idea what I need now and what's available and am actually increasing my budget, just changing my approach and pay per person. 

Thanks in advance for any advice!

It's fine to do that, but be aware that some freelancers may not reapply, because we now have to pay to bid on jobs. Instead, I would suggest that you reach out to the freelancers who interested you, and explain your changes in the job description and pay. Interviewing doesn't mean hiring, it's just the first stage of the process.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members