Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing to milestones

ailish_d
Community Leader
Ailish D Member Since: Jun 19, 2016
1 of 4

Hello peeps

I have a client who asked me to do a job for him which is made up of 11 short articles. I sent him a proposal and listed each article as a milestone with the number of words and fee. He agreed it all, and sent me the contract. But it's come through as one job, with the whole amount instead of in sections. I asked him about the milestones and he said he doesn't know why it didn't separate it, but asked can I do each article and submit them, adjusting the amount each time.

I don't have a problem with this, or the client. He has funded the whole project and his payment method has been verified, it's just that neither of us knows if it can be broken down this way?

Hope that makes sense as I've just confused myself!

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
2 of 4

You can do it, but it is a bit fiddly.

say he set it up for $ 500 and you want to do 5  x $ 100

Do the first one, and submit requesting $ 100. The client approves, but must then set up the second milestone and fund it (from the remaining Escrowfunds) or there won't be a submit button for milestone 2, 

then repeat those steps for 3 and 4 and 5 until all the Escrow funds have been used up.

Personally I am quite happy with one milestone up to about $ 1000 actually....

View solution in original post

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
3 of 4

Hi Ailish,

I presume the client sent you a direct offer or opted not to use the Milestone structure you proposed. In any case you can proceed with this contract in the way Petra explained, submitting the existing Milestone once you complete the first article as agreed and starting on the second one only after the second Milestone is created and funded. 

Let us know if your client needs assistance with setting up the subsequent Milestones.

Untitled
ailish_d
Community Leader
Ailish D Member Since: Jun 19, 2016
4 of 4

Thanks both of you, that's a great help.

He's new to Upwork I think, so is a little unsure how it works. I thought he'd just have to accept the proposal and it would automatically set up the milestones but for whatever reason, it hasn't. I've only done one job for this client so it's a new partnership, and I'd rather use milestones.

Anyhoo, I am about to submit the first article to him, and I'll do it in the way you described and explain it to him and take it from there.

x

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS