🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Charge clients for job postings
Page options
mplance
Community Member

Charge clients for job postings

Are there plans to start charging clients for job postings?

Just like freelancers need to spend connects to apply for a job, I believe it would be fair for the clients to have to pay for posting jobs too. 

In that way the client will get better quality proposals and the freelancers will see less fake or non-serious job offers. 

The posting fee could be refunded to the client if they award the job to a freelancer and the project completes successfuly. 

8 REPLIES 8
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Mario, let's say you are ready to buy a new car. There are several auto dealers to choose from and some of them offer the exact same vehicles. The one that is most convenient for you to visit also has a cover charge. That is, you have to pay an admission fee to come onto the lot and look at the cars. Even if you are at the beginning of your search and just browsing for ideas and to get a sense of what you might need to spend for a small sedan versus an SUV. You can't come inside the lot without paying. If you wind up buying a vehicle from that dealer, your admission fee will be applied toward the purchase price. But if you find a car that suits you better at another dealer (that does not charge admission), the fee you paid here is non-refundable.

How likely is it that you will pay to simply look at cars, many of which you can look at for free, down the street?

Phyllis G wrote:

Mario, let's say you are ready to buy a new car. There are several auto dealers to choose from and some of them offer the exact same vehicles. The one that is most convenient for you to visit also has a cover charge. That is, you have to pay an admission fee to come onto the lot and look at the cars. Even if you are at the beginning of your search and just browsing for ideas and to get a sense of what you might need to spend for a small sedan versus an SUV. You can't come inside the lot without paying. If you wind up buying a vehicle from that dealer, your admission fee will be applied toward the purchase price. But if you find a car that suits you better at another dealer (that does not charge admission), the fee you paid here is non-refundable.

How likely is it that you will pay to simply look at cars, many of which you can look at for free, down the street?

Thanks, Phyllis, for the excellent description of how the Client Plus plan works!

petra_r
Community Member

Mario P wrote:

Just like freelancers need to spend connects to apply for a job, I believe it would be fair for the clients to have to pay for posting jobs too. 

So soon you won't have to spend any connects anymore because there won't be any clients and no job posts.

Sounds like a great plan.

It never ceases to amaze me how so many people push for new stuff that would destroy the marketplace.

Don't you understand that every client lost who would have hired someone takes income out of the pockets of both the platform and all freelancers? When none of the other main platforms charge for posting jobs, a percentage of existing clients would go elsewhere and a significant percentage (likely most) of new clients would never post their first jobs. Result? We earn less money.

In which alternative universe has putting off and chasing away clients ever been a good idea?

Don't you see how there is no upside for freelancers in that? Yes, there would be less nonsense job posts, but also less real ones, and with the clear nonsense job posts, which were only attracting freelancers with little or no chance of winning the real ones, everybody would be bidding on the few remaining job posts and drown the clients in proposals.

Don't you people think things through logically before suggesting stuff like that?

moonraker
Community Member

Clients should be encouraged to post new jobs. Not discouraged. 

Jamie F wrote:

Clients should be encouraged to post new jobs. Not discouraged. 

I know, right?

Which is why I am constantly stunned by those suggestions to offer less income opportunities to freelancers.

I'd rather wade through a few pages of dross to find a great client, than not find anything at all.

florydev
Community Member

This parallels quite easily with the unverified client "problem" in that many of you seem to want to have all clients verified before they can post a job.  Some of you have outright said you will not waste connects on an unverified client. 

Have you ever gone to a website were you can do a trial to see how something works and the first thing they ask you for is a credit card (looking at you LinkedIn)?  I personally find that very off putting because what they are telling me is that it is not a free trial at all.  What do you do in those situations?  I know that I, almost always, leave without signing up.

Surely you can see that good clients are a scarce resource and that many of them are skeptical that they can get what they need done on Upwork.  Upwork needs to make it as simple as possible for them to post a job, get it fulfilled, and find the experience completely wonderful.  Clients are the ones providing almost all the money that makes this site run.  Without them, this watering hole dries up and we all leave.  Nobody wins.

Surely you can also see that Freelancers are an abundant resource and, although many of them are also skeptical that they can find work here, Upwork has way more than they need.  Charging them absolutely is a method to thin out the herd.

I understand the problem that you think you are experiencing, fake or non-serious job offers, but I am thoroughly against any barrier you might create to stop that that may stop one good client from getting through. 

Because good clients are scarce and we are not.

versailles
Community Member

Mario P wrote:

In that way the client will get better quality proposals and the freelancers will see less fake or non-serious job offers. 

The posting fee could be refunded to the client if they award the job to a freelancer and the project completes successfuly. 

They are slowly making clients pay to use advanced features and already we seem to experience a decrease in the number of job posts.

Do you think they should make sure there are even less jobs being posted on Upwork? Are you getting too much work and you want clients to go someplace else?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
tlbp
Community Member

Mario P wrote:

So, that would be LinkedIn Profinder, right? 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths