🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Charge for wire transfer
Page options
rospergs
Community Member

Charge for wire transfer

Hi people,
Today I was checking if I had received my last wire transfer and I found out my bank had charged me 21,00€ for it. After talking with them, they confirmed it was because Upwork marked the transfer as "sharing costs" with me (roughly translated).
I have been in Upwork quite some time and this is the first time this has happened; until today, there were never any fee of that kind for wire transfers. Anyone knows why the change?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Rocío P wrote:

Hi people,
Today I was checking if I had received my last wire transfer and I found out my bank had charged me 21,00€ for it.

Anyone knows why the change?

Because Brexit.

Upwork's partner bank sends your Euros from the UK (as can be seen from the GB in the sending bank's code)

So "direct to local bank" (which is what I assume you mean, rather than wire transfer) is no longer an affordable way to withdraw money for many in the EU.

Goran V wrote:

I just checked your account but was not able to locate a withdrawal through our Wire transfer method. 

She means "direct to local bank" which is, in reality, no such thing.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Rocio,

I just checked your account but was not able to locate a withdrawal through our Wire transfer method. Could you please confirm the date of the withdrawal you`re referring to? Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Rocío P wrote:

Hi people,
Today I was checking if I had received my last wire transfer and I found out my bank had charged me 21,00€ for it.

Anyone knows why the change?

Because Brexit.

Upwork's partner bank sends your Euros from the UK (as can be seen from the GB in the sending bank's code)

So "direct to local bank" (which is what I assume you mean, rather than wire transfer) is no longer an affordable way to withdraw money for many in the EU.

Goran V wrote:

I just checked your account but was not able to locate a withdrawal through our Wire transfer method. 

She means "direct to local bank" which is, in reality, no such thing.

rospergs
Community Member

Ah, that probably explains it. Not fun at all then, if I am paying 20% of my transfer after Upwork already takes their 20% Man Mad

petra_r
Community Member

Rocío P wrote:

Ah, that probably explains it. Not fun at all then, if I am paying 20% of my transfer after Upwork already takes their 20% Man Mad

Forget "Direct to local bank" and use PayPal or maybe Payoneer until Upwork lean on their banking partners to NOT use a UK intermediary bank or eat the charge (which they won't)

It's actually a disgrace to make such changes without any warning!

People have tolerated the poor exchange rate for years, but they won't happily tolerate this. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members