cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge per hour and/or per word?

Highlighted
Frederik V Member Since: Feb 5, 2019
1 of 6
I'm working on a client with a long term writing job that offers money per word. But I also have an hourly rate. Do I track both and charge both, or only their offer for the amount of words?
Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
BEST ANSWER
2 of 6

EDIT: I guess I'm just a little confused. If you're saying you haven't accepted this particular job yet, then you need to clarify how you want to charge *before* accepting the offer. Smiley Happy The time to negotiate price is not after the offer has already been accepted by the freelancer, IMO.

If you have already accepted the job offer then you already have terms. What are they? That's what you charge.

3 of 6
It's an hourly rate that I put in the proposal.
Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
4 of 6

Frederik V wrote:
It's an hourly rate that I put in the proposal.

Oh, got it. I've done that too - hourly rate in the proposal -  if that's how the job description is set up. In that case, sometimes the client says s/he (generally) charges (whatever amount) per word, but an hour worked is an hour worked if that's how the actual job is set up. In that case I used the desktop tracker. All my minutes worked on the project are just that, no shilly-shallying, as shown by the screenshots and as delineated in my memos.

It's possible your client is giving an estimate on how s/he feels this will all shake out, but please, please do have that all *clearly* taken care of and agreed upon *before* accepting the job, or you may just wind up with a client who goes back, does a word count on the doc, and claims you should have known it would only be whatever-amount-per-word, or says "ALL my other freelancers were able to do 500 words in far less time than you, so you should only be charging such-and-such an amount of hours..." It could just be a mess. It really has to either be hourly or per word or fixed price per milestone.

Good luck and clarify, clarify, clarify before you start your jobs...JMO. Smiley Happy

5 of 6
I see. Nothing had been set in stone yet so there's room for negotiation when the time comes and I'll keep your advise at heart. Thank you.
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
6 of 6

Frederik V wrote:
I'm working on a client with a long term writing job that offers money per word. But I also have an hourly rate. Do I track both and charge both, or only their offer for the amount of words?

It's either/or, never both for one job. For translation you can charge per word, or an hourly rate of price per word x average words per hour you translate. 

For the first projects I would definitely recommend price per word (fixed price), so your client knows exactly what he is going to pay in advance, and it does not matter how long it will actually take you.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS