🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Safe from chargeback
Page options
1997amin
Community Member

Chargeback!! Chargeback!! Chargeback!!

One of my friends recently got a chargeback from his client. But he did the client's task professionally and got 5 stars from the client. 

But that's not the one example. There are a lot of professional freelancers who are facing this problem. I don't know if Upwork takes this problem with high priority but through the Upwork current chargeback system, a client can have free service. How?

Suppose a client post for a job and hire a freelancer. Now the freelancer completed the job and the client approved the work and pay the freelancer and also left 5-star feedback. After a few days, he issued a chargeback from his bank and took all the payments he made to the freelancer. 

Now, what has the freelancer got?

$0 earnings, fake earnings on profile, frustration, and demotivation.

This kind of situation is happening frequently on Upwork today and the freelancer career isn't safe on Upwork now.  

If this continues, freelancers will never have any alternative options except to leave the marketplace. Because freelancers are not social workers.

It is my request to Upwork to fix this system of chargeback.

I'm feeling unsafe on Upwork.

6 REPLIES 6
PradeepH

Hi Md Aminul,

I can certainly understand your concerns and want you to know that in situations where the client contacts their bank and asks them to reverse the payment, Upwork offers to challenge the chargeback in an attempt to help the freelancer get the money back. Time is very crucial here and Upwork would need to move quickly. So, freelancers are expected to provide the requested proof of the work or deliverables within 48 hours of being notified of the reversal if they would like us to proceed.

Upwork Payment Protection doesn’t apply in these cases unless the contract in question is hourly and the requirements listed here are met.

Upwork team would also review the client’s Upwork account because reversing a payment in most cases is against our Terms of Service.

Thank you,
Pradeep
Upwork

If I use a Time tracker on a fixed-rate contract, is it help me save myself from being charged back?

Hi Md Aminul,

When the client contacts their bank and asks them to reverse the payment, Upwork offers to challenge the chargeback in an attempt to help the freelancer get the money back. Upwork would need to move quickly, so please provide the requested proof of the work or deliverables within 48 hours of being notified of the reversal if you’d like us to proceed.

Upwork Payment Protection doesn’t apply in these cases unless the contract in question is hourly and the requirements listed here are met.

Upwork team would also review the client’s Upwork account because reversing a payment in most cases is against our Terms of Service.

~ AJ
Upwork

If I use a Time tracker on a fixed-rate contract, is it help me save myself from being chargeback?

No

tlsanders
Community Member

It's not "the Upwork current chargeback system." The chargeback process is created by U.S. law and Upwork's bank is legally required to comply with it.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths