🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Chargeback Notification: Payment Reversal
Page options
tyloo
Community Member

Chargeback Notification: Payment Reversal

Hello Upwork community,

Hope you are all doing well and good.

I received notification from upwork some days ago that the contract I am working on has been suspended and told me hold my work and I did and today I received email from upwork about the Chargeback Notification: Payment Reversal which told me that it is a result of your client contacting their bank and asking them to reverse the payment for the following transaction(s): xyz.

About the Contract :

Client sent me hourly contract(Manual Time Allowed 10 hr/week) for development of website and a logo which I accepted. I pushed manual 10 hours for helping her selecting a good hosting for her website, she already had bought domain and premium wordpress.com package, I advised her for better option, got her different hosting, updated her nameservers, created 3 logo designs for her to select, she approved one and also sent me images for the website, and then told me that she won't be online for the next week as she's going on a trip. I waited for next week did the website landing page design and development and sent her the link on upwork chat and pushed 10 hours more. I then kept waiting for her reply and approval for first 10 hours and then after waiting for 1 week I sent her email telling her to check and also let me know If I can add extra hours as I wanted to complete the contract as soon as I can. I finally got her reply after 2-3 days on email : "Wherever you're at with it I'm gonna have to put it on hold." and I did.

Now I am facing the situation I mentioned above. I did all my work. Provided screenshots of the work to upwork support and they are saying that the Bank will have the final say and I can't do anything about it. The bank makes the final decision and this can take them up to 90 days.

What did I do wrong? Need advice and support on this matter as I am new on upwork and this is my 4th job.

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
yofazza
Community Member

What did I do wrong?

I'd be careful on giving suggestions to change what they already have let alone "forcing" them to., even on simple things like which "remote desktop software" to use. They might get annoyed.

After a few days, or after they see some works, that's where I can start "telling" them what to do.

It's not going to end well if at the start you charge 10 hours for "doing something they don't need".

And why didn't you use the time tracker? 

tyloo
Community Member

It was my first hourly contract and I think I have learned my lesson to never push manual hours

wlyonsatl
Community Member

I sure wish all freelancers would understand that while Upwork's hourly payment protection is solid, using manual hours is just one of the ways work done is NOT proected.

If you don't know an hourly client well and trust them completely, ONLY do work for them when you can properly track your work time using TimeTracker. 

ericaandrews
Community Member

In this case, it doesn't matter if you used the time tracker or not:  It's in Upwork's Terms of Service that there is NO payment protection in cases like these where a client does a 'chargeback' through their bank.  The best they will do is send a letter to the bank asking them to return the money - which means the money is gone.  You can do a search for 'chargeback' throughout these forums and you'll see multiple reports of this trend increasing with clients pretending to pay for work then 'reversing' the charges to get free work, and the moderators simply 'apologizing' for the inconvenience on the forms.   The money is lost in these instances, and it's not 'protected' whether you use the time tracker or not when there is a chargeback.  There are plenty of freelancers on this forum that used the time tracker, followed the rules, got hit with a 'chargeback' and got nothing but an 'apology' from UW

You're wrong, CJ A.

Using TimeTracker properly DOES protect you against loss due to client fraud (such as chargebacks) on hourly projects. I know, because I have benefitted from that protection in the past. And I learned my lesson about the risks of non-payment on fixed price contracts long ago, which is why I have only agreed to hourly projects in recent years.

Where in the TOS do you think Upwork says otherwise? There are certainly multiple steps you need to take to ensure that protection, but follow the rules and Upwork will uphold its promise of hourly payment protection.

Will L wrote:

You're wrong, CJ A.

Using TimeTracker properly DOES protect you against loss due to client fraud (such as chargebacks) on hourly projects. I know, because I have benefitted from that protection in the past. And I learned my lesson about the risks of non-payment on fixed price contracts long ago, which is why I have only agreed to hourly projects in recent years.

Where in the TOS do you think Upwork says otherwise? There are certainly multiple steps you need to take to ensure that protection, but follow the rules and Upwork will uphold its promise of hourly payment protection.

yeah I think people get confused with straight up fraud chargebacks where the freelancer did shady things (not protected) and chargebacks from legit work. OP used manual time. That's the problem here.

williamtcooper
Community Member

Did you use Upwork's tracking App for your work which guarantees payment?

That's the mistake I did. It was my first hourly contract and I think I have learned my lesson to never push manual hours

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths