🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Chargeback Notification
Page options
idzanake
Community Member

Chargeback Notification

Hi! I just got a letter from Upwork and I am so confused. Is anybody have an experience like this?  I will be happy for any advice. 

The job was to create and edit 50 videos for youtube.

I did my job, and client ended our contract. It was one payment for the project and it was founded.
The client did not response to my messages after closing the contract. 

I did my job, money was founded,  client closed the job without any word, money was released after a week. Now it's almost three weeks past and client decided to cheat with her bank account and upwork wants me to pay for this client.

The letter from upwork:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I have provided the evidence and work proofs to the team and it is also visible on upwork as well. but still, nothing seems to be on my side. What should I do?

11 REPLIES 11
moiratan
Community Member

Hi Kir,

I am so sorry. I am looking at the part of the message from Upwork that says: 

"Please contact your client for more information. If you can’t resolve this matter with your client directly, we can submit a rebuttal to your client’s bank on your behalf if you reply to this email within 48 hours and attach proof of the work or deliverables you completed for the client." 

Can you do what Upwork is asking and submit those 50 videos to Upwork as proof of the work you did? 

Good luck.

Moira 

Hi Moira! I already did it, I sent screnshots and provided links with all the work to UPwork team.

And i tried to contact my client from the moment when we ended our contract, but as i said before - she keeps silence and even when i gave her all the work and asked questions - she just silently close the contract and released money. 

"Please contact your client for more information. If you can’t resolve this matter with your client directly, we can submit a rebuttal to your client’s bank on your behalf if you reply to this email within 48 hours and attach proof of the work or deliverables you completed for the client." 

This is the first time I've heard of Upwork involving a freelancer in challenging a chargeback. I hope this is now the norm.

Yes I really can't understand why upwork charges me for the clients behavior. I did my job and client released money, and after three weeks I got this email. If it's normal now to charge freelancer for client, I really think upwork will start loosing freelancers.

Kir R wrote:
Yes I really can't understand why upwork charges me for the clients behavior. I did my job and client released money, and after three weeks I got this email. If it's normal now to charge freelancer for client, I really think upwork will start loosing freelancers.

Chargebacks suck, especially considering that in some countries, like the US, one can pull a chargeback really easy.

Now, I'm sure you do understand why Upwork charges you. There is no money anymore after a chergeback. It's gone. 

Losing freelancers is another topic. Upwork could lose half of them, it wouldn't make a difference so much overcrowded the place is...

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

I have to disagree here on upwork charging the freelancer, and that being understandable.

If Upwork were failing and strapped for cash that would be one thing.

But Upwork takes 1/5th of most payments.

Why work for a service if you can't be sure they're prepared to absorb losses in the case where you are in the right but the client attempts a chargeback?

Is this in Upwork's tos?

petra_r
Community Member

Tim S wrote:

ANY payment processor takes the funds from a chargeback from the recipient. Your bank does. Your PayPal does etc.

By the way: Upwork may not be failing, but has never made a profite yet either.

Tim S wrote:

I have to disagree here on upwork charging the freelancer, and that being understandable.

But Upwork takes 1/5th of most payments.

Why work for a service if you can't be sure they're prepared to absorb losses in the case where you are in the right but the client attempts a chargeback?

Is this in Upwork's tos?

It's an easy loophole to double your money.
Step 1: Create a fake job post for 1000$
Step 2: Hire yourself and release the funds
Step 3: Do a chargeback getting the 1000$ back
Step 4: Upwork pays you poor freelancer the 1000$ it got charged back
???
Profit!

JoanneP

Hi Kir,

I checked your account, and I see that you are already corresponding with one of our team members via a support ticket. Feel free to post any questions you may have on the ticket, and the agent will gladly assist you with it. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hi there Moderator of Upwork ,

I also have got the chargeback notification and they say my account is on hold I don't know whats going on , last time i have three refunds andi recieve all of them by opening in dispute using ARN NUMBER THROUGH MY BANK. THEN I RECEIVE THEM.

Now i don't know what kind of dispute upwork talking ABOUT and i didn't receive any payment as well of 54.91$

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Original Transaction Ref:

Hi AMJID,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I checked and it looks like you are already communicating with one of our agents on your ticket. If you have any further questions or you need further assistance feel free to follow up with our team on your ticket and they will be happy to assist you further. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members