🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Chargeback Request
Page options
engrzunuran
Community Member

Chargeback Request

I want to know that is there any freelacner who successfully got his/her funds back after upwork successfully defends the chargeback with the bank? In my 2.5 years of freelacing career I am experiencing this thing for the 1st time. I never got a negative feedback in my entire freelance career but this sudden chargeback request from client's bank is freeking me out. I dont know what its result will be but one thing is sure that this incident made me realize that Never go with fixed price jobs. Only do hourly contracts

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I have no official data, but from what I have seen on this site and other platforms as well as stores - any site where there are financial transactions, I think it highly unlikely. I doubt the banks will ever release that data.

The banks are always going to go with the credit card holder, it seems, unless extreme proof is provided. Even with eBay, sellers don't automatically win if the customer does a chargeback.

For people who live in the U.S., contact your legislative representatives to let them know of the issue if you feel it is wrong.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
wlyonsatl
Community Member

I have never seen a post on this board by a freelancer who successfully convinced any real client's bank not to go along with their client's request for a chargeback against payment that client made to Upwork.

And no bank is going to reverse a chargeback on a card that was used by an unauthorized user to pay Upwork.

Freelancers don't have the option of attempting to convince them. It is up to Upwork to dispute chargebacks or not and I've seen nothing to suggest that they make any attempt to do so.

Upwork has clearly said, Tiffany, that it will make it known to a bank making a chargeback if the affected freelancer has proof of work done in return for the payment client says should be charged back.

We have not been told whether or not a bank has ever reversed a chargeback as a result of information from the affected freelancer.

I have no official data, but from what I have seen on this site and other platforms as well as stores - any site where there are financial transactions, I think it highly unlikely. I doubt the banks will ever release that data.

The banks are always going to go with the credit card holder, it seems, unless extreme proof is provided. Even with eBay, sellers don't automatically win if the customer does a chargeback.

For people who live in the U.S., contact your legislative representatives to let them know of the issue if you feel it is wrong.

By reading the comments I feel like i have lost my money. It wont get back to me.

It is unlikely, but don't let that stop you from trying, if you want to make the effort. Unfortunately, the banks hold all the power in these situations, with the acceptance of the business.

Whether or not you choose to use the hourly tracker is up to you, but make certain you use it correctly.

I only do fixed price contracts, and I have never been scammed. However, each freelancer must decide how they want to function. Hopefully, you will never have this issue again, but with all the scammers online, you have to be extraordinarily careful.

Looks like i will be the one who will loose the money in this chargeback

Unfortunately, it is unlikely you kan recover the amount.

Me too. Thats why i was curious to discuss on the forum

spectralua
Community Member

Hourly also can be returned with chargeback.

And yes, never saw someone who can not returned chargeback.

I have one chargeback, it was resolved to scamer favour. Upwork protected scamer and rejected to share any details so im unable to find him myself. So i can not say for sure is it was real chargeback or dummy.

Mykola,

There are chargebacks on hourly contracts. Upwork will nevertheless make payment to the freelancer if all terms of hourly protection are met. Whether or not Upwork then pursues payment from the "client" the affected freelancer never knows - the chargeback is solely Upwork's problem (as provided for in the Terms of Service).

Can a client initiate a chargeback on all paid milestones over a course of 5-6 months? I've been working on fixed price with one of my clients for some time now, and I kind of feel vulnerable knowing if the client wants they can just do a chargeback.

Bilal,

It is up to your client's credit card-issuing bank to decide whether a chargeback will be issued on behalf of your client. Upwork does not have a choice whether or not to comply with a chargeback and you will be expected to refund to Upwork the full amount of any chargeback up to the total amount you were paid on a project.

We have seen various posts on this message board about large chargebacks for work done over multiple months, such as:

Client chargeback request of $12,500 after on... - Page 2 - Upwork Community

bilal1983
Community Member

I hope you're the first one to get a reversal on the chargeback Zunuran.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths