🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Chargeback
Page options
njenga-steven
Community Member

Chargeback

Hello,

Who has ever had a new client to Upwork put a chargeback on work done weeks after you delivered but since the client got his system working and the job became easy stopped the contract and weeks later ask for a chargeback? Upwork seems not to help even after providing evidence of work done. How can one protect his money and time used in the hourly contract?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Stephen N wrote:

So **bleep**ed up Upwork has to side with the crook clients. But I guess it is what it is the poor have no rights.

No. Nonsense! You don't seem to understand what a chargeback is. The client's bank has already taken the money from Upwork. That is not a matter of Upwork "siding with the client" at all. The client will get suspended for the chargeback. But that doesn't get the money back.

Had you tracked your hours correctly, Upwork would have paid the loss out of their own pocket. 

You need to direct your swearing (**bleep**ed up) to either the client or yourself or most appropriately both, as those two parties are responsible for what has happened.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
petra_r
Community Member

Stephen N wrote:

How can one protect his money and time used in the hourly contract?

By working strictly in accordance with Upwork's hourly protection. This would mean that despite the fact that the client's bank has taken the money from them (Upwork), they would pay this out of their own pocket.

If you do NOT track your time correctly and fully in accordance with the terms, Upwork won't pay you out of their own pocket when things go wrong.

Basically that means:

1. Tracked time (with the tracker) only. (Not manual time)

2. Meaningful memos on the screenshots

3. Good activity levels

4. All screenshots showing you working on the client's project

Presumably that was the very unhappy client whose contract ended in August?

Time was tracked well using the tracker and no manual time was added. Since was working on the client preferred system I did not put any memos since everything was done on the system. How can they approve 3 weeks' work then claim the funds back after I used my time to help them set up their system which they were unable to before hiring me.

Stephen N wrote:

I did not put any memos

Then you are not covered.

Stephen N wrote:

How can they approve 3 weeks' work then claim the funds back.

That is how banks work. 

In future you know how to be protected.

Very sad since con clients will be using this way to con freelancers. An update is given on the chat and since we work as per the client's wish if they decide to keep the updates on the system we have to do that since getting a job is not a walk in the park.

Stephen N wrote:

An update is given on the chat and since we work as per the client's wish if they decide to keep the updates on the system we have to do that since getting a job is not a walk in the park.

I am fairly certain your client did not tell you not to use a work memo on the tracker...

Just because you are doing updates on the system doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't add memos on the tracker.

The client was clearly incredibly unhappy with the work to go through such lengths as to file a chargeback...

So **bleep**ed up Upwork has to side with the crook clients. But I guess it is what it is the poor have no rights.

Stephen N wrote:

No. Nonsense! You don't seem to understand what a chargeback is. The client's bank has already taken the money from Upwork. That is not a matter of Upwork "siding with the client" at all. The client will get suspended for the chargeback. But that doesn't get the money back.

Had you tracked your hours correctly, Upwork would have paid the loss out of their own pocket. 

You need to direct your swearing (**bleep**ed up) to either the client or yourself or most appropriately both, as those two parties are responsible for what has happened.

Stephen:

I really am sorry about what happened.

This would not have happened to me.

I use memos.

Petra uses memos.

It's part of using Upwork correctly.

Now you know.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Stephen,

I have been using Upwork for many years and it has been my consistent experience that all hours properly tracked by TimeTracker are fully covered by Upwork if a client doesn't pay Upwork for any reason on an hourly contract. (This very rarely happens with my clients and Upwork never communicates to me the reason for the problem, though the client might.)

But "properly tracked" is key. 

Sorry for your loss, but now you know.

Good luck with future projects. 

d9ee833f
Community Member

Hi 

Am facing the chargeback problem which I understand is from the clients bank and I did the job over 3 months ago with a good review 

I reached out to the client and he told me that he made a mistake with the bank and it has been fixed which I messaged the support and yet to get a response 

Please I would love this to be fixed ASAP

Then you have to wait for Support to contact you. They are currently swamped, but financial issues tend to be pretty high priority.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members