🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Chargebacks on Upwork
Page options
sadafparvezz
Community Member

Chargebacks on Upwork

I had a “Fixed-Price Contract” with a client named**Edited for community guidelines** who after satisfactory work delivery, contract closure, and favorable remarks did a “Chargeback” on me. This is the first time I realized that an “Escrow” account does not provide funds protection, nor is it applied in its true legal sense. Perhaps Upwork in such situations can prevent identified clients that take chargebacks advantage with a loophole in their system. These are obviously fraudulent acts, deliberate, and an organized scheme. On the other hand, the freelancer ends up getting defrauded, and not able to make direct claims with the client’s merchant banks.

I'd like to ask community members who had the same chargebacks from the same client to respond to me or, at the very least, bring this issue to the attention of Upwork management so that they can protect others from being defrauded. This is a serious issue for freelancers and time for Upwork to act responsibly.

I suggest that issues of chargebacks should be flagged as an unusual occurrence and get investigated. Perhaps matching frequent chargebacks by the same client against several freelancers can be a good start. This will prevent Upwork from being used for fraudulent activities and at the same time provide sufficient evidence in filing a rebuttal to the client’s bank.

5 REPLIES 5
a_lipsey
Community Member

Sadaf N wrote:

I had a “Fixed-Price Contract” with a client named**Edited for community guidelines** who after satisfactory work delivery, contract closure, and favorable remarks did a “Chargeback” on me. This is the first time I realized that an “Escrow” account does not provide funds protection, nor is it applied in its true legal sense. Perhaps Upwork in such situations can prevent identified clients that take chargebacks advantage with a loophole in their system. These are obviously fraudulent acts, deliberate, and an organized scheme. On the other hand, the freelancer ends up getting defrauded, and not able to make direct claims with the client’s merchant banks.

I'd like to ask community members who had the same chargebacks from the same client to respond to me or, at the very least, bring this issue to the attention of Upwork management so that they can protect others from being defrauded. This is a serious issue for freelancers and time for Upwork to act responsibly.

I suggest that issues of chargebacks should be flagged as an unusual occurrence and get investigated. Perhaps matching frequent chargebacks by the same client against several freelancers can be a good start. This will prevent Upwork from being used for fraudulent activities and at the same time provide sufficient evidence in filing a rebuttal to the client’s bank.

Clients cannot make frequent chargebacks because chargebacks are against Upwork's TOS and the first time it happens they are permanently banned. Upwork does fight chargebacks, but if the "client" used a stolen card, there's not much they can do. 

I am also resived email from upwork for Cashback to Clint**Edited for community guidelines**i am realy upset this things becausei can work with fixed price and done the work, i am secure in upwork ??? Upwork is veryfied everything so how can anyone can use stolen card for payment ?? We are freelancer and we wajt to work as a secure with this platform so please cooperate in this type of case's and return back all payment to freelance after verification

Yes the above freelancers (Sadaf and Sajjad) are saying correct.
**Edited for Community Guidelines** is a totally cheater and indulge in fruadulent acts. How can she chargeback money after all she was satisfied with my work and and also give good feedback. She just give me 3 contracts and it was ended successfully without any dispute. Suddenly the next day of contract no.3, she asked for chargeback. It's a beg request to Upwork officials please look after this lady as she organized the plan in such a way so no one could able to catch her on website as well on ground level. I have also mailed upwork authorities with the evidence against her. I hope upwork will look this matter carefully.
Thanks!

Hi Muhammad,

checked and it seems that you are already in correspondence with our team on your support ticket.

Please allow more time for our team to review your case and respond accordingly to your ticket. You will be notified of their response.

~ Nikola
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Sadaf N wrote:

nor is it applied in its true legal sense.

It is. Escrow does not protect against a chargeback.

Sadaf N wrote:

I suggest that issues of chargebacks should be flagged as an unusual occurrence and get investigated. 

Obviously they are. Clients who file chargebacks have violated the terms of service and are suspended. 

Sadaf N wrote:

Perhaps matching frequent chargebacks by the same client against several freelancers can be a good start. 

There would not be any "matching frequent chargebacks" as the client is suspended after the first one (which may, obviousl, involve more than one freelancer).

Sadaf N wrote:

... and at the same time provide sufficient evidence in filing a rebuttal to the client’s bank.

A rebuttal only works if the cardholder claimed that goods or services were not received or were defective. It doesn't usually work for unauthorised use. Those are very hard to defend.

Sajjad S wrote:
Please cooperate in this type of case's and return back all payment to freelance after verification

Upwork don't have the money. The cardholder's (who may or may not be the client) bank has taken it back, so Upwork can't "return it" to the freelancer.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths