cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chargebacks

bizcraftdotbiz
Dan M Member Since: Dec 8, 2017
11 of 34

This is a pathetic response.  You, and / or whomever approves this messaging, has no business acting as a community manager.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
12 of 34

@Dan M wrote:

This is a pathetic response.  You, and / or whomever approves this messaging, has no business acting as a community manager.

Who the frak are you talking about/to?!?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
bizcraftdotbiz
Dan M Member Since: Dec 8, 2017
13 of 34

Rene K wrote:

"Who the frak are you talking about/to?!?"

Looks like the message I replyed to has been removed.  But case in point, look at what you wrote.  It is not remotely appropriate business comunication.

Regardless, I now have new client funds pending, clients I brought to Upwork, whereupon Upwork thinks it just fine to steal this money from me to pay for some prior client who did a charge back.  So what's the case?  The current client, should they want to pay me for my work, as they should, is best off continuing the chain of "poor practices" by further doing a charge back, just so to do the honest pracitce of paying me for my work.  Something Upwork is just not willing to do.  With these practices, and the level of communication by the community managers, it all goes hand in hand, and not headed in good direction.  I'm still waiting a few days to see how Upwrok handles this, but, it appears that freelancers must take action.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
14 of 34

@Dan M wrote:

@Rene K wrote:

"Who the frak are you talking about/to?!?"

Looks like the message I replyed to has been removed.  But case in point, look at what you wrote.  It is not remotely appropriate business comunication.

It's not business communication. I was just wondering so I asked. I'm not in any business relationship with you.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
15 of 34

Hi Dan, 

I checked your issue and can see that the reimbursement is being requested because the payment guarantee for this contract was not met. If you have further questions about this issue, you may post it on the same ticket thread and the team will get back to you with more details. 

You may learn more about the Upwork Payment Protection Program by visiting this page

~ Avery
Upwork
tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
16 of 34

@Dan M wrote:

Regardless, I now have new client funds pending, clients I brought to Upwork, whereupon Upwork thinks it just fine to steal this money from me to pay for some prior client who did a charge back. 

If by "steal," you mean "offset according to the terms of the contract you entered into when you registered with the site," then yes.

mrdanielprice
Community Guru
Daniel P Member Since: Aug 15, 2014
17 of 34
Chargebacks should be something Upwork absorbs. They lose that money, but still pay the freelancer.

Given that chargebacks aren't too frequent, I think this is a fair expense on the side of the company. I'm sure Upwork is earning a fair amount of profit for its investors.
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
18 of 34

@Daniel P wrote:
1) Chargebacks should be something Upwork absorbs. They lose that money, but still pay the freelancer.

2) Given that chargebacks aren't too frequent, I think this is a fair expense on the side of the company. I'm sure Upwork is earning a fair amount of profit for its investors.

1) They should? Based on what, exactly? NO platform absorbs chargebacks. PayPal doesn't. eBay doesn't. Amazon doesn't. Etsy doesn't.  No freelancing platform does.

Doing so would open the door to a fabulous fraud opportunity.....

Chargebacks are a business risk. Unfortunate, but true

2) Not only is that entirely irrelevant to the argument, as per the last we were told Upwork had not turned a profit yet.

Of course, given that you've never been paid a single Cent on Upwork you are quite safe from chargebacks.

zivkovic-milos
Milos Z Member Since: Dec 1, 2016
19 of 34

1) I don't get where do you live, but Amazon is giving reimbursements and bonus benefits every time a package is lost in mail or similar things happens. They are there to protect the buyers from bad sellers, thieving customs officers and similar. This is why I like doing business with them. Of course Upwork should make sure artists who did their job are compensated and protected from fraudulent clients, that is why they take their cut to make sure all sides are protected.

2) If I was a OP I would have never returned money that I earned fair and squire for my hard work. UpWork if they want to can investigate and probably sue the client and get their money back and after the few cases like this the number of scams would reduce greatly.

And yes Upwork is the bad guy here, he is taking its cuts, not providing the service of pay protection to its clients (that they are obligated) and cutting its losses (yes, this is their loss of money) on the backs of honest hardworking people that are bringing them profits. 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
20 of 34

@Milos Z wrote:

1) I don't get where do you live, but Amazon is giving reimbursements and bonus benefits every time a package is lost in mail or similar things happens.

2) If I was a OP I would have never returned money that I earned fair and squire for my hard work.

1) Amazon (the platform) gives the money back to the BUYER ... EXACTLY. And they immediately take the money from the SELLER.

Here the client is the buyer.

Upwork is the platform

The freelancer is the seller.

You've just proved my point. Thanks.

2) The OP is free to try that. The most likely outcome is that their account could be suspended and chances are Upwork's debt collectors will be engaged.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS