🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Charging for Image Licensing
Page options
0b0e603f
Community Member

Charging for Image Licensing

I am a professional photographer and I do portrait and commercial work for both individuals and businesses. I was contacted by a client who knows me outside of Upwork, but is required to book me through Upwork.

I charge my clients a flat creative fee for my time in 1/4, 1/2, and full day rate of $800/day. Depending on how the client wiill use the images, I then charge them a licensing fee for the images. Small clients pay small licensing fees for small use (personal files, social media, small business). Larger clients pay larger fees for larger use (advertising campaigns, billboards, magazines, websites). The difference can be very large. A small client might pay $75 for use of a photo and a larger client might pay $800 for the same photo because it will be used in a bigger way.

When setting up my Upwork account, I only saw where I could set my hourly rate. My hourly rate does not include any images though, and given that I dont charge everyone the same amount for the right to use an image created, I need to know how accomplish that on this platform.

1 REPLY 1
prestonhunter
Community Member

Drew: There is a FIELD on your Upwork profile where you can state your hourly rate.

Upwork is mostly NOT used by photographers. So there are not FIELDS for the other things that you mentioned.

But you may specify these details in your profile overview text.

And when you actually set up a contract with a freelancer, you may use an hourly contract or a fixed-price contact, whichever you prefer, and use these to charge clients what you need to charge them.

Clients can pay additional fees using the client-side "Pay Bonus" tool.

Or using fixed-price milestones.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members