🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Charging for urgent job postings?
Page options
roverup
Community Member

Charging for urgent job postings?

Hey so this is sort of a 2-part thing. But I'm just dealing with the sting of having missed out on a job that I was ideally qualified for because 40 minutes after it was posted the client was already interviewing someone. Again, I feel like I wasted another 6 connects yet never really had a chance to have my proposal considered... So maybe Upwork can change the system. My idea is to have job postings by default sit and bake for at least a few hours (or more) after which time they open for proposal submissions. And perhaps if a client wishes to post an urgent job that they pay extra for this privilige? I feel like this would be so nice as it would give us some time to schedule things and write a nice, professional proposal - eg. not having to rush to submit a proposal while I'm out to dinner with friends. Just a thought and maybe another small revenue stream for Upwork (as long as they don't encourage rushing... but I feel like giving some time for proposals to be collected would lead to better matching of freelancers to clients). 

4 REPLIES 4
lysis10
Community Member

How does that help the client who just wants something done quickly? It seems the client got what they wanted.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Trevor C wrote:

Hey so this is sort of a 2-part thing. But I'm just dealing with the sting of having missed out on a job that I was ideally qualified for because 40 minutes after it was posted the client was already interviewing someone. Again, I feel like I wasted another 6 connects yet never really had a chance to have my proposal considered... So maybe Upwork can change the system. My idea is to have job postings by default sit and bake for at least a few hours (or more) after which time they open for proposal submissions. And perhaps if a client wishes to post an urgent job that they pay extra for this privilige? I feel like this would be so nice as it would give us some time to schedule things and write a nice, professional proposal - eg. not having to rush to submit a proposal while I'm out to dinner with friends. Just a thought and maybe another small revenue stream for Upwork (as long as they don't encourage rushing... but I feel like giving some time for proposals to be collected would lead to better matching of freelancers to clients). 

You are aware that upwork freelancers are located all over the world in all time-zones on the planet? How would that work out for the others if a job is sitting there while you don't want to be rushed while out for dinner with friends?

tlbp
Community Member

Maybe they should just force every client to consider Trevor's proposals so he doesn't miss out. Life is so unfair!!!!

prestonhunter
Community Member

Trevor:

I don't think you realize how many jobs you NEVER SEE because they are posted and filled so quickly.

I often post urgent jobs that state that I want to work "right now."

I block the general proposal section, and I post only one question:

Are you ready to work with me right now?

Then I hire the first people who apply to the job.

And as soon as I hire them, I make the job posting private so nobody else sees it.

I can hire people in five minutes.

The job is online, and then it is off.

Sometimes I post a job, get the work done, and close the job all within an hour.

This is great for when I want to hire somebody to provide consultation, or provide me with training, or work with me directly using screen-sharing.

If somebody isn't carefully monitoring the job feed, they won't see these jobs.

I have no need to make my job's available to everybody. I just want to hire one person who can do the task. And Upwork really delivers for me in these situations!

By the way, a lot of freelancers specialize in doing these kind of jobs. Often the people I work this way are accustomed to doing this type of immediate, on-demand work.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths