🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: ChatGPT is winning Upwork jobs for me!
Page options
17dae83b
Community Member

ChatGPT is winning Upwork jobs for me!

Hi fellow colleagues. I have just made a video on how I tried to use Chat GPT for generating proposals. 

Full video on YouTube

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Anton and others,

We believe that it is essential to maintaining trust between clients and freelancers that content generated by artificial intelligence is not presented as human-generated. For this reason, Upwork freelancers must disclose clearly to their client when artificial intelligence was used in creating content, including job proposals and  dash messages.

Additionally, when you post content on Upwork, per our Terms of Service you agree that content won't violate anyone's rights, including intellectual property rights. As the AI powering ChatGPT and other similar programs may pull from sources that may include others’ protected content, by utilizing it, you may be infringing on the copyrights of others. For this reason, we do not recommend utilizing these programs for creating content used in a proposal or in completing a job unless you are able to confirm that it is not in violation of the intellectual property rights of others.
Failure to properly disclose the use of artificial intelligence assistance in content creation may lead to temporary or permanent suspension of your Upwork account.

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

49 REPLIES 49
Community Member

Not only did it work you are winning jobs with a true copy-paste template! 😮

I did it as an experiment, but it actually worked out 

sajal36
Community Member

ChatGPT issue is not that it sometimes gets things wrong. But it is the answers that do not indicate the confidence level it has in the response. It says everything with 100% confidence.

Amazing. You are able to win proposal through it by just providing your skills and experience narration and copying the proposal..  But What if client start comparing proposal with ChatGPT.. Will be a interesting hustle. Challenge is not everyone do all what they write they can do and vice versa!! 
17dae83b
Community Member

I agree that ChatGPT cannot replace your current skills and ability to deliver excellent service to the client.
In this experiment, I am not lying to the potential clients. And once I get the job, I will do my best to deliver high-value service.

The idea of the experiment is to showcase what part of your work routine can be outsourced to AI. 

sajal36
Community Member

Appreciate your research. Point was not to question you. It was about what lies ahead!! 

The idea of AI is to eventualy replace you.

None.

lysis10
Community Member

>I win jobs using ChatGPT

>Got 1 job and made $410 since Dec 1. 

/confused_emoji

Two jobs. One on Upwork, and one working to sell ChatGPT to the masses. 

ChatGPT is so good that it sells itself.

Only to those who wish to steal work from other people.

usman_ashraf678
Community Member

Is this ok with upwork t&c?

What rule can it violate?
It is almost the same as using Grammarly to correct mistakes.

Just making sure 🙂

Just the ones Valeria mentioned above, I guess. 

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Anton and others,

We believe that it is essential to maintaining trust between clients and freelancers that content generated by artificial intelligence is not presented as human-generated. For this reason, Upwork freelancers must disclose clearly to their client when artificial intelligence was used in creating content, including job proposals and  dash messages.

Additionally, when you post content on Upwork, per our Terms of Service you agree that content won't violate anyone's rights, including intellectual property rights. As the AI powering ChatGPT and other similar programs may pull from sources that may include others’ protected content, by utilizing it, you may be infringing on the copyrights of others. For this reason, we do not recommend utilizing these programs for creating content used in a proposal or in completing a job unless you are able to confirm that it is not in violation of the intellectual property rights of others.
Failure to properly disclose the use of artificial intelligence assistance in content creation may lead to temporary or permanent suspension of your Upwork account.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Good solution 🤠

How are you going to enforce your TOS to determine if a freelancer disclosed using AI or not? 

There are ways to check. If I know about them, I'm sure Upwork and many clients do as well.

Additionally, the clients are going to figure it out. All the AI jobs I have seen need a human to go over the material, edit it, and make it relevant. The clients will notice, and they will complain. Or it will be easy to identify the ones claiming how well it works.

There will be plagiarism issues, poor quality, and the jobs are offering viciously low rates. AI isn't even an accurate term. The program regurgitates material it searches. It is not intelligence. OK, give the program a dictionary and thesaurus and let it write. It can't. This is not Data from the Enterprise.

Because of the issues, after the big rush to use it, it will fade, although some will continue to use it.

Can I use chatgpt to wright my portfolio description?

If a client hired you with a cookie-cutter response, you deserve each other. ChatGPT messages look very similar in structure.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

I can't even image a client receiving a proposal that has the disclaimer: This proposal was created by AI on top. 

Not a winning strategy, would be my guess. 

bruce_dodds
Community Member

Anton, Valeria's points make perfect sense, but I got a bang out of your idea.

I used ChatGPT to both choose my wife AND propose for me.

Fifty years later, we're still happily married!

😂

I absolutely agree with her points. There obviously is a room for fraud. 

In my case It's just fun and interesting way to compare your writing with AI. 

melaniekhenson
Community Member

I feel like this can be a tool like any other tool, but in my field I wouldn't use it to apply (and I would definitely never use it for the actual project). I write, and I lean heavily on my ability to put personality into my work (mine, or a "voice" of the client's choice). In the future, who knows how amazing these apps will get, but I'll still kick it old-school then and put my own personality into the jobs I apply to. It's worked for me so far.

For applying to other types of jobs, I don't know whether I'd want to use an app to apply, because I've never been in those jobs.

OTOH, everything changes. As someone pointed out above, people do use programs like Grammarly. There still needs to be a person behind this app, and there still need to be skills the person can deliver. 

It was me who pointed out Grammarly. I use it all the time because I am trying to improve my writing.
And Grammarly is also powered by AI and often suggests you rewrite the sentence for you.
So, there is no significant difference between ChatGPT and Grammarly.

elisa_b
Community Member

There is, because Grammarly suggests corrections for something you wrote, it does not write anything from scratch for you. 

As Valeria mentioned, the content comes from other people, without their knowledge or consent. That's the first reason I will never try it, or use it.

AI can do some amazing things, but it can't, as you say, have a creative, personal voice. I'm certain in writing, there are elements that come from a variety of sources that color our words. AI does not have that capability.

Grammarly checks content, but it does not create content.

By the way, for those who don't know, Grammarly, and any program like it, makes mistakes. If you are using it to correct basic mistakes, while you learn, that's great. Or to do a quick spelling and grammar check.

However, if you are representing yourself as an editor and using a program, you will run into trouble. Some clients may not notice, but the ones who do will get very upset. Programs make errors that humans do not make. Once humans learn, they don't usually forget.

Jeanne H wrote

By the way, for those who don't know, Grammarly, and any program like it, makes mistakes. If you are using it to correct basic mistakes, while you learn, that's great. Or to do a quick spelling and grammar check.

However, if you are representing yourself as an editor and using a program, you will run into trouble. Some clients may not notice, but the ones who do will get very upset. Programs make errors that humans do not make. Once humans learn, they don't usually forget.

I don't use Grammarly, but I have definitely seen this with Word and Google Docs. Some of their "corrections" are...well, the types of things that drive fifth grade teachers crazy. For example, I had written that a specific method "may be" best for a certain issue. GD attempted to autocorrect me to "maybe."

I have no issue at all with technology (I love it, in fact) but it's true that while people think AI is grammatically "there," it isn't, in several pretty important ways. 

The fact that this particular one pulls from other writing really bothers me. That's a problem. I wonder if there are going to be plagiarism issues. I have to think there will be.

The programs do not create, they source material, material that was written by others. Will the public accept a certain level of plagiarism? Of course, if they think it will give them the latest greatest tech. Who cares about plagiarism?

I hate to break it to the new tech people, but I have had some interesting Q&A with basic phones. When cell phones first came out, I remember asking questions about the meaning of life, and some of the responses were quite thoughtful. The phone voice was not having a conversation, it was searching resources from the database and spitting out a programmed response. AI is much faster, but even the greatest search engine will return non-relevant information.

If I look up data and copy and paste bits from sources without recognition, that is plagiarism. However, when AI does it, people applaud.

I'm not anti-tech, I am anti-theft. I enjoy some pretty cool stuff because of high-tech. I heard Preston used it successfully!

elisa_b
Community Member

Yes I know I may sound naive, old-fashioned, idealistic, etc. - but isn't it great when you find an interesting job opportunity, and you start writing your proposal? Isn't it exciting to state what you can do for the client, and highlight your skills and experience?

Therefore, even if the use of such AI tools was allowed - why delegate the pleasure of crafting a great proposal to a heartless machine?

17dae83b
Community Member

I absolutely agree with you. As a video guy I even sometimes send video-proposals 🙂 I enjoy the process. 
But my natural curiosity can't stop me to use this new tool!

Community Member

I get a similar, but opposite, feeling whenever I see a job description that is in clear defiance of the laws of physics. I am sorely tempted to waste Connects to send a message to the client that they are only going to get scammed or strung along by freelancers who either

1. know that the job is impossible but see an easy way to make money, because of the client's ignorance, or
  2. don't know that the job is impossible and will struggle against fundamental laws of the universe, giving hope to the Client where there should be none.

But my Connects are generally more important, because those jobs are most often posted by newbies with no payment method. And some of them smell of tin-hattish distrust of science.

williamtcooper
Community Member

Hey Anton, after viewing your Upwork Profile, there is only $1k of client work not winning proposals?

Also, the hourly doesn't match the jobs. So, Ai isn't getting even the hourly fee?

I applied accordingly to the higher limit of each job listing budget.
But it's not the point. With no regard to the rate, It was just a fun way to test the technology.

mayalee99
Community Member

What's chatGPT can anyone explain what it does all I understood is its a s

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members