cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check deposited from employer

Highlighted
Belle L Member Since: Apr 19, 2016
1 of 26

Ok. I got a check from a company  to be used to purchase materials to be used so I can start working. Now, I called the bank regarding its authenticity  and they confirmed it and the money is available. But I just have a feeling that I don't want to do it and I changed my mind. I don't want to use the money. Can I have my bank take out the money from my bank? I don't want it anymore and I want nothing to do with it. What should I do?

Community Guru
Ramesh K Member Since: Oct 25, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 26
First of all it is against ToS of Upwork to accept money outside Upwork.

Contact CS and inform about this before they take action. They may give you a warning not to do this again.
3 of 26

They asked for my address and a day after I found a check on my mail. 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 26

There IS no money.

The check will eventually turn out to be fake. The whole thing is a scam, there is no job, you have not been hired, you fell for one of the oldest and best known scams on the internet, which has been around for at least 15 years.

5 of 26

I would like to contact my bank cause I just deposited it today and the money has never been used. Is it possible for them to take the money out from my bank before they found out it is fake. I don't want to get in trouble. Lesson learned for me. 

Community Guru
Ashish K Member Since: Mar 1, 2016
6 of 26

Petra, from her post it seems that the money actually got credited into her account.

Edit: From her latest post it seems she just deposited it today. Cheques from other banks usually take more than 1 day to be credited to your account, even if genuine.

Belle, please ask the bank to not go ahead with that deposit. 

7 of 26

Yes, Ashish. That's  right. Thank you. I have been trying to figure out what to do with it. 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 26

@Ashish K wrote:

Petra, from her post it seems that the money actually got credited into her account.

It always does, initially.

Then the victim "pays for the non existing work supplies" (sends the money to the scammer)

A few days later the check is proven fake, the money taken out of her account, and possibly the police called.

9 of 26

Petra: I will call the bank tomorrow to not go through with it. Gosh I can't sleep now. 

Community Guru
Ashish K Member Since: Mar 1, 2016
10 of 26

@Belle L wrote:

Petra: I will call the bank tomorrow to not go through with it. Gosh I can't sleep now. 

I would call the 24hour bank helpline right now and get it done. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS