cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check deposited from employer

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
11 of 26

re: "from her post it seems that the money actually got credited into her account."

LOL.

Maybe Belle will be the first person since 1950 who received a real check as part of this scam.

In the last two week alone we have seen an exponential increase in the number of people reporting this scam here in the community forum. I wonder what's going on... Maybe somebody seriously stepped up their game.

Community Guru
Ashish K Member Since: Mar 1, 2016
12 of 26

@Preston H wrote:

re: "from her post it seems that the money actually got credited into her account."

LOL.

Maybe Belle will be the first person since 1950 who received a real check as part of this scam.

In the last two week alone we have seen an exponential increase in the number of people reporting this scam here in the community forum. I wonder what's going on... Maybe somebody seriously stepped up their game.

This is her second thread on this subject, presumably about the same scammer. I wonder what led her to deposit the cheque even after all of us asked her not to.

Belle, if you havent yet, flag that client please.

Community Guru
Craig A Member Since: Jan 18, 2016
13 of 26

@Ashish K wrote:

@Preston H wrote:

LOL.

This is her second thread on this subject, presumably about the same scammer. I wonder what led her to deposit the cheque even after all of us asked her not to.

Belle, if you havent yet, flag that client please.

I was just thinking the same thing, Ashish. 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
14 of 26

@Ashish K wrote:

I could hazard a guess as to why someone would deposit the fake piece of paper after being told in no uncertain terms that it was a scam and that they were risking their Upwork account.

"Greed" is probably the nicest word that readily springs to mind, there are others.

Sometimes people simply have to learn the hard way, and if she ends up being investigated by the police for check fraud and money laundering and gets her Upwork account suspended she can't say she was not told, in the clearest possible terms....

I do remember one girl who posted on the forums after spending a very unpleasant day first at her bank and then at the police precinct....

Belle L Member Since: Apr 19, 2016
15 of 26

I called SunTrust today before I deposited it.. with the check number and have it verified They confirmed it. The money was available. This is another "company". I don't know what I was thinking why i deposited it but i know that the money could be available but the risk does not stop there, it is when you are told to send the money as payment for materials needed for work and then later bounce. Ugh. I feel stupid right now. I'm trying to figure out how to flag them. I am still trying how to navigate the UpWork , the last time I used this when it was called Odesk. Sorry about the ignorance. 

Community Guru
16 of 26

Belle:

You're going to be just fine.

Countless people have fallen for this.

So don't take it personally. And don't be too hard on yourself. Nobody is born knowing about this old scam. It doesn't make somebody dumb if they didn't realize what this really was. It just means they haven't heard of it before.

Some of us are joking about this, but that's partially out of exasperation and frustration because we've seen this so many times.

Belle L Member Since: Apr 19, 2016
17 of 26

I have not read the thread at that time. I just saw all these yesterday and started reading. 

Community Guru
18 of 26

...Like maybe at Scam Headquarters, there's a manager chastising one of his minions:

"Bob, what did you do? You sent a real check to Belle? You numbskull! We only use the real checks to pay the cleaning lady."

Community Guru
19 of 26

Gordon Gecko wanted to weigh in on the conversation.

greed.jpg

* There are exceptions.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
20 of 26

@Preston H wrote:

Gordon Gecko wanted to weigh in on the conversation.

greed.jpg

* There are exceptions.

Greed is indeed good, if it co-exists with brain and said brain is actually used for critical thinking.

The Germans have a saying "Gier frisst Hirn" ( Greed eats brain)

when greed has eaten brain, greed is no longer good. 

Greed minus brain is bad.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS