cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check deposited from employer

Community Guru
Ashish K Member Since: Mar 1, 2016
21 of 26

"Now, I called the bank regarding its authenticity  and they confirmed it and the money is available."

How on earth could your bank confirm the availibility of funds without presenting the check to the drawee bank? Unless both banks are the same. Even if so, how can a bank access information about another account and tell you? Your story doesnt add up.

Belle L Member Since: Apr 19, 2016
22 of 26

Okay. So the company asked me what bank I operate and I said I use credit union America first and then they sent me a check issued by SunTrust. So since I was not sure, I called SunTrust to verify the authenticity of the check and that's what they told me. Then I deposit the check through mobile banking which was accepted by my bank. 

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
23 of 26

Hi Belle,

Please report this job by creating screenshots of your communication with the client and submitting a Support request, so our team can review and take action. 

Please report all the clients who offered to pay for your work outside the platform, regardless if the request was posted in Messages or in private communication by other means. Our team will reach out to you shortly.  I'll reiterate that paying and receiving payment outside Upwork is against our policy and carries a penalty for all parties involved.

Please have a look at tips and warning signs shared in this thread

You can find valuable information in the Getting Started as a Freelancer section of the Help Center and in our "A Freelancer's Guide to Upwork". I also suggest watching our educational videos and reading the best practice advice shared by other users:

Freelancer Tutorial Videos

Want to get that first job? Then check this out...

Proposal Workshop Video

Belle L Member Since: Apr 19, 2016
24 of 26

Thanks Vladimir . I will do that. 

Ash - I contacted the customer service of SunTrust  where the check was issued and that's how I found out. They ask the info and the exact amount of the check and then they confirmed  it. I can mention the name of the company that sent the check if I had to. And some others that I already blocked. 

Community Guru
Ashish K Member Since: Mar 1, 2016
25 of 26

@Belle L wrote:

Thanks Vladimir . I will do that. 

Ash - I contacted the customer service of SunTrust  where the check was issued and that's how I found out. They ask the info and the exact amount of the check and then they confirmed  it. I can mention the name of the company that sent the check if I had to. And some others that I already blocked. 

I believe you. I wonder what sort of bank divulges all this information. Was the number you called printed on the cheque? If yes, then this 'banker' was a fraud too.

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
26 of 26

Contact your bank as soon as possible, report the scam, and hope that you are not out the money. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS