Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check the clients Identity same like Freelancer

dilip-borad
Dilip B Member Since: Jun 1, 2015
1 of 7

Hello,

Recently before some months upwork is verify identity for all freelancers, This is right to trace all spamers.

But recently since a couple of month i found here is lot of new client is come and post a job on same day without verify his payment method or identity. So i think upwork is also need to put varification against it.

This is very wired things for me like when i'm checking the jobs there is lots of new clients is come and post new job on his same joining day, So how the freelancer is trust on him/her without he not get payment method is verify or not.

Thanks.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 7

Identity verification and payment verification are not precisely the same thing.

All clients already have their payment verification status posted next to their client names or contract details. This information is not hidden.

Contractors may choose to apply to jobs posted by clients whose payment method is unverified. Or you may choose not to. You may choose to begin working for a client whose payment method is not yet verified. Or you may choose not to. You may choose to work for new clients. Or not, as you prefer.

With all the choices that are already available to you, what is it that you want to see changed?

dilip-borad
Dilip B Member Since: Jun 1, 2015
3 of 7

Yes,

Thanks for reach me.

I can understand your concern but this just a my suggestion like client can only post a job after verify his payment method.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
4 of 7

Dilip, many people have suggested doing exactly what you suggest here. It is not a bad idea. But Upwork feels that the benefits do not outweigh the costs.

The current system is designed to make it easier for potential clients to post jobs, by not requiring a credit card number to post. Clients can post a job with confidence that they will not be charged any money to do so. Upwork feels like this significantly increases the number of jobs that are posted.

Clients can then see what kind of response their freely-posted job results in. If clients are impressed that there are quality Upwork contractors willing to do the job, then clients will be happy to add a verified payment method and hire a contractor.

So, for me, the current system means more jobs, and more money for me as a contractor. I have earned significant sums of money from clients whose payment methods were unverified. I did no work for them until they verified their payment method. But I applied to the job before they had a verified payment method.

View solution in original post

This widget could not be displayed.
5 of 7

@Preston H wrote:

Clients can then see what kind of response their freely-posted job results in. If clients are impressed that there are quality Upwork contractors willing to do the job, then clients will be happy to add a verified payment method and hire a contractor.

______

And criminals with fake-emails can contact freelancers as well - and they do. I receive job offers from 3-year-unverified clients who never engage anybody - whatever they may do here - and when I reject this bogus offers they are rewarded with my complete name that is not visibible on my profile 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 7

Margarete, the problem with that isn't so much letting new clients post a job (or even 2 or 3 or 5) before asking them to verify their payment method, it's not controlling them after they started posting.

There should be a limit to how many jobs new clients may post before their activities are manually reviewed.....

7 of 7

@Petra R wrote:

Margarete, the problem with that isn't so much letting new clients post a job (or even 2 or 3 or 5) before asking them to verify their payment method, it's not controlling them after they started posting.

There should be a limit to how many jobs new clients may post before their activities are manually reviewed.....

Yes, and also clients who offer new jobs over years, interview a lot of freelancers and never hire anybody (on Upwork) should be weeded out. From my point of view bogus clients on Upwork have 3 main targets:
1. To steal something (personal data from freelancers, information about Upwork's processes, bank data and money and get free work).

2. Hire off the platform

3. Find somebody to do illegal work. In this case payment is legal, 1+2 obviously are without payment.

It will be impossible to verify any information in Upwork's large database, to engage an armada of detectives to find out if a 5-Dollar-job-client (or a freelancer) in any country is what he/she pretends to be. So, it is important for everybody working and hiring here to be very careful. And Upwork should (if not done already) establish a threat intelligence process that is able to identify bogus clients automatically, to understand what they plan to do, to observe them and to prevent that they are successful.  

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS