🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Circumvention and the definition of "relation...
Page options
0830b238
Community Member

Circumvention and the definition of "relationship"

The circumvention policy itself is pretty straightforward, "Circumvention is when a client and freelancer meet through Upwork but try to continue their relationship elsewhere."

My question is for relationships established through Upwork, when is the relationship consisdered "established"?

a. On proposal submittal

b. Interview

c. Project kickoff

d. Other

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
melaniekhenson
Community Member

What they're getting at is that if you and the client meet on Upwork - which is generally because of a job they're posting - but try to set up a job outside of Upwork, you may be as good as gone. 

Once you're having busness/project discussions off the platform, you have a business "relationship" off the platform. 

Just don't play around with this, Carlos. (Or anybody; I mean you may just be asking out of curiosity.) Don't consider how to barely not cross some line or other. Freelancers have been kicked off the platform for trying to circumvent this hard-and-fast rule, and with good reason.

Couldn't collaborations involving use of Trello, Slack, and the like qualify as having business discussions off-platform? I see a lot of posts requring something like this.

Amanda S wrote:

Couldn't collaborations involving use of Trello, Slack, and the like qualify as having business discussions off-platform? I see a lot of posts requring something like this.

Yes, but in that case you're having business discussions with the Upwork client about his/her Upwork project that you've accepted, I'm assuming. Which is fine.

Now if you use Slack to chat about how you two can just do the job off-platform instead of going through Upwork at all, you're violating TOS. And as far as I understand, that's what Carlos means. 

Hi Melanie,

Thanks for the timely reply. My question was actually more general in nature. I am very new to the platform and spent a lot of time today reveiwing terms and conditions, etc. When I came upon the circumvention rules it caught my attention in particular because I can see how circumvention "control" is pivitol to the platform and as I mentioned in my post the definition is clear. However, I was suprised that the "relationship" piece wasn't formally defined as that piece is core to the definition. 

I hope this clarifies things.

Regards,

Carlos

lysis10
Community Member

Doesn't the ToS say at first contact? So first contact if I'm remembering correctly.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths