🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Clarification on a refund request policy
Page options
alexandernovikov
Community Member

Clarification on a refund request policy

---

Dispute assistance is available if the last payment on a Fixed Price contract was within the previous 30 days or as long as funds are held in escrow.

---

does that mean that the client is able to demand refund on Fixed Price contract's milestones which have been paid less than 30 days ago, or held in escrow, or that he can demand refund on any Fixed Price contract milestones, including those paid more than 30 days ago, provided that *some* of them have been paid less than 30 days ago, or are still in escrow?

Basically, if i have a fixed price contract with 3x$1000 milestones, milestone 1 have been paid  40 days ago, milestone 2, 20 days ago, and milestone 3 is still in escrow, and client tries to terminate contract and extract whatever money he can get back, how much can he get back? $1000, $2000, or full $3000?

Got into that problematic situation, first time in 2.5 years...

Thanks!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Alexander N wrote:

>No, it is 30 days since the last milestone was funded - (the one you just refunded,) OR the client can just set a new milestone for $ 5 which starts the 30 days again

that's fine, it's essentially the same date. and i don't think the client is THAT smartass.

Well, the client in my only ever dispute wasn't either until Support told her to do that so she could dispute after the deadline had expired.

Alexander N wrote:

>There is also the danger of a chargeback.

And if so, what  happens?

Upwork will suspend the client but you could still lose the money if Upwork can't defend the chargeback.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
petra_r
Community Member

Alexander N wrote:

Basically, if i have a fixed price contract with 3x$1000 milestones, milestone 1 have been paid  40 days ago, milestone 2, 20 days ago, and milestone 3 is still in escrow, and client tries to terminate contract and extract whatever money he can get back, how much can he get back? $1000, $2000, or full $3000?

All of it. As long as money is still in Escrow or the last one was paid in the 30 days prior to dispute, the client can dispute everything paid under the contract.

Of course the good new is that for $ 3000 it's more than worthwhile going to arbitration ($ 291)

OK but if the last one  was paid over 30 days ago, and i refund the amount still in escrow myself, then the client can't request anything, even if the contract  is still open, correct?

What i mean here is that what if i refund amount in escrow and wait till there will be 30 days from the last milestone acceptance, am i clear of any future risks with  that client, and can just close the contract and delete feedback using top rated mechanism?

Alexander N wrote:

What i mean here is that what if i refund amount in escrow and wait till there will be 30 days from the last milestone acceptance, am i clear of any future risks with  that client, and can just close the contract and delete feedback using top rated mechanism?

No, it is 30 days since the last milestone was funded - (the one you just refunded,) OR the client can just set a new milestone for $ 5 which starts the 30 days again

"Dispute Assistance Deadline” means the date 30 days after the Client was billed for the last milestone"

Alexander N wrote:

am i clear of any future risks with  that client

There is also the danger of a chargeback.

>No, it is 30 days since the last milestone was funded - (the one you just refunded,) OR the client can just set a new milestone for $ 5 which starts the 30 days again

that's fine, it's essentially the same date. and i don't think the client is THAT smartass.

Alexander N wrote:

Well, the client in my only ever dispute wasn't either until Support told her to do that so she could dispute after the deadline had expired.

Alexander N wrote:

Upwork will suspend the client but you could still lose the money if Upwork can't defend the chargeback.

In the end, we reviewed client's expanded  requirements  and they proved to  be quite meaningful and he agreed to pay a small extra for it, so problem solved. No need for scandals 🙂 as usual, i am getting paranoid and overestimating problems.

Alexander N wrote:

as usual, i am getting paranoid and overestimating problems.

Don't do that 😉 It does you no good at all.

Worry about things that are happening, not things that might happen.

But I'm glad it is all resolved.

Getting back to this! Exhibit B: A long and expensive project for a client, last milestone funded and activated September 18, delivered October 17, paid October 18, contract closed October 22, with a 5-star feedback. Now the client comes back and asks  for free changes which "he thought would be included". Do i take any risks if  i just plain out decline?

Alexander N wrote:

Getting back to this! Exhibit B: A long and expensive project for a client, last milestone funded and activated September 18, delivered October 17, paid October 18, contract closed October 22, with a 5-star feedback. Now the client comes back and asks  for free changes which "he thought would be included". Do i take any risks if  i just plain out decline?

Not if the changes were not mistakes made. If it's nothing that takes much time, and isn't a lot compared to what was paid for the contract, I'd do it as a gesture of good will and good cutomer service.

If the client wants to pay for the changes, do not risk a new contract, get the changes paid as a bonus on the closed contract,

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths