cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Clarification

c71d7b75
Charles F Member Since: Sep 6, 2016
1 of 12

I have not got any jobs yet. One is interviewing me. Is it regular to ask for my email addr and phone num? If asked, is it OK to give same?

tks

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
BEST ANSWER
2 of 12

I would  never share my email address or phone number with a prospective client.  I would tell them that I can communicate by email and phone, but would not share that information until after being hired.

Non-Legitimate clients will try to get contact data from new contractors here on Upwork. It's a common scam, and there is an easy way to avoid this by simply NOT sharing this data until AFTER your hired.

View solution in original post

c71d7b75
Charles F Member Since: Sep 6, 2016
3 of 12

Hi Pandora H,

Thank you very much.

best wishes.

servicetier
Sarfaraz B Member Since: Dec 10, 2015
4 of 12

I had a well-established client, for whom I fall under 'Active Candidacy' even 22 days later, send me this:

"Thanks so much for applying for our job. We're really impressed with your profile and would like to continue the interview process with you.

As a next step, please complete this brief interview so we may learn more about you:"

It was followed by a link to a Google doc which did ask for e-mail and phone number. It seemed like normal practice for them. The unfortunate thing is that after making you spend extra time doing this, it would have been nice to hear back in some way, shape, or form.

Here's what threw me off:

175 Jobs Posted
$21,800.74 Total Spent
457 Hours Billed
22 Open Jobs
19 Hires

pandoraharper
Community Guru
5 of 12

@Sarfaraz B wrote:

It was followed by a link to a Google doc which did ask for e-mail and phone number. It seemed like normal practice for them. The unfortunate thing is that after making you spend extra time doing this, it would have been nice to hear back in some way, shape, or form.

Here's what threw me off:

175 Jobs Posted
$21,800.74 Total Spent
457 Hours Billed
22 Open Jobs
19 Hires

While it's possible that is a legit client, I would be very uncomfortable sharing Private, personal data inside a Google doc that, in theory, could be accessed by anyone in the world. Scary!

Most clients won't ask for this kind of info up front. After all, the Upwork Message center (love it or hate it) can handle anything you and a prospeceive/current client need in relation to communcation and file sharing.

The only private data I would ever share with a client before they hire me is:

My Skype ID (and some clients to ask for that in their job description)

My Office # (which is public elsewhere online already)

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
6 of 12

I always ask my freelancers for their email and their location (so I know their time zone)...*after* I've hired them. I never ask for that information at the interview stage.

lmollett
Ace Contributor
Laura M Member Since: Mar 8, 2016
7 of 12

Really? I've been interviewed on the phone several times. A couple of times I got the job and once or twice I didn't. I did request Skype instead because the voice quality is better, but a couple of these US own-their-own-business types really want phone contact.

I've also provided email addresses so they can send project files (I'm a designer - often this is necessary in the interview process to provide time estimates), when they just can't figure out how to attach a file on Upwork. Another time I spent hours trying to explain to a customer how to do it, complete with screenshots. I finally decided just providing an email address is much easier/quicker.

My understanding is all that is fine during the interview process. It's only before the interview that it's not allowed?

pandoraharper
Community Guru
8 of 12

@Laura M wrote:

My understanding is all that is fine during the interview process. It's only before the interview that it's not allowed?

Your bids can't contain contact data unless they request it in the job description. If they send you an interview request, you can provide them other forms of contact data.

I see no reason why a client can't send / receive files from the Upwork Message Center. Sharing files from the UMC is not any more complicated then sending from common email clients.

I've been lucky in that most of my interviews go well and I get hired on the spot. Every once in a while though, it's a bad fit from the first 5 minutes and in that respect, am always glad I did not share my contact data with them.

Good clients who don't use the message center should not ask for your email until after the hire button is pressed. This is good practice for ALL NEW FREELANCERS, because doing ANY work before being hired is bad. I often prepare a seperate proposal for the client, but they don't see it until after the offer is sent and I have clicked the Accept button.

If you are a designer and you are in the interview phase, and there are files the client wants you to look at, they should have attached them to the job description. If they want to see samples of your work, you can send those to them from the Upwork Message center.

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
9 of 12

@Laura M wrote:

Really? I've been interviewed on the phone several times. A couple of times I got the job and once or twice I didn't. I did request Skype instead because the voice quality is better, but a couple of these US own-their-own-business types really want phone contact.

I've also provided email addresses so they can send project files (I'm a designer - often this is necessary in the interview process to provide time estimates), when they just can't figure out how to attach a file on Upwork. Another time I spent hours trying to explain to a customer how to do it, complete with screenshots. I finally decided just providing an email address is much easier/quicker.

Laura, it's allowed, but many freelancers see it as a bit of a red flag of a potential scammer. Your system may be working for you, and that's fine. Just be aware that in general, it's considered "best practice" to keep all communication and file transfers through Upwork, especially with a new client relationship, so you have a clear record on the platform of what happened in case of disputes.

lmollett
Ace Contributor
Laura M Member Since: Mar 8, 2016
10 of 12

Thanks Jennifer! I'll take it under advisement. Although Skype isn't exactly keeping it on Upwork either. I think people don't like to give out information and I'm not that bothered about those particular things, but now that I've said that it's quite likely to all go very wrong.

Yes, Pandora, I agree that they *should* be able to and that it's not exactly a difficult process, but somehow that doesn't actually make them able and willing. People like to do things the way they already know how or they sometimes just don't understand or whatever.When I was employed at a B&M shop, we had a customer that could *not* understand email attachments. Even if we showed her step-by-step, and had her take notes and made notes for her. We got very tired of walking her through it every few days. She finally got someone to handle that kind of stuff for her. We understood though because one of our salespeople couldn't really do it either. The internet kind of passed him by.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS