🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Cleint is not ready to pay for completed work
Page options
hegdechaitra
Community Member

Cleint is not ready to pay for completed work

There is a client who hired me twice for translation projects. The first time everything went well. The second time he insisted me to work using new software that I was unfamiliar with. (I accepted this offer and informed him that its new software for me.). After the work, he was not satisfied and asked me to revise it several times (which I did).

His communication was so poor that I often had trouble understanding what exactly he wanted me to change. But still, I worked for him and completed the job. Finally, he paid me a fraction of the originally agreed amount (about 1/6th). I politely asked for the rest of the amount. But he did not respond to my message.

After a month he came back and offered me another project. I was happy that he wants more work from me. But after the work, he is not ready to pay for my work.  And he says it is a long term project and expecting me to work for a very less amount. (Sometimes he also ask for free work)

I clearly asked for the rest of the amount. I clearly informed that I can not work on such a low-budget project. But he is not answering and avoiding all my payment messages. 

My questions

1. He is not ready to pay for my work and not ready to answer my payment message. what should I do about that?
  2. He always offers me one amount and after the work, he bargains with me to reduce it. Is it allowed? 
  3. My JSS has just started. How it will affect my JSS?
6 REPLIES 6
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

You should never have accepted another project from a client who communicates poorly and asks for free work. Clients cannot "insist" that you do anything - if they ask you to use software that you're not familiar with, then that's usually not going to end well; you'll either do a poor job, or spend more time than necessary. 

You've already tried to reason with this client and he's simply not listening. So you should tell him that you're sorry, but you won't be able to continue working with him because you have other commitments (there's no need to go into detail or offer any further explanations). Offer to turn over any files or instructions that will make it easy for him to find another freelancer to take over from you. Then close the project yourself and hope that he doesn't leave you feedback. (If he does give you bad feedback, there's nothing that you can do about it, but the only alternative is to continue working with an unreasonable client who doesn't pay you and might STILL leave you a bad review once you're finished.)

petra_r
Community Member

The client can't make you accept less if the milestone was properly funded.

I agree with Christine that this is a client you absolutely shouldn't work with at all.

In future, do ***NOT*** do more work than what is funded.

Thank you for your valuable feedback.
The milestone was properly funded. But he paid five dollars out of thirty
dollars. Then he gave me more work saying that he will add it to the
milestone which he did not add it. Once the work is done, started avoiding
all my payment messages. After a week he started bargaining with me to work
more to get that payment.
jr-translation
Community Member

Chaitra H wrote:

There is a client who hired me twice for translation projects. The first time everything went well. The second time he insisted me to work using new software that I was unfamiliar with. (I accepted this offer and informed him that its new software for me.). After the work, he was not satisfied and asked me to revise it several times (which I did).

His communication was so poor that I often had trouble understanding what exactly he wanted me to change. But still, I worked for him and completed the job. Finally, he paid me a fraction of the originally agreed amount (about 1/6th). I politely asked for the rest of the amount. But he did not respond to my message.

After a month he came back and offered me another project. I was happy that he wants more work from me. But after the work, he is not ready to pay for my work.  And he says it is a long term project and expecting me to work for a very less amount. (Sometimes he also ask for free work)

I clearly asked for the rest of the amount. I clearly informed that I can not work on such a low-budget project. But he is not answering and avoiding all my payment messages. 

My questions

1. He is not ready to pay for my work and not ready to answer my payment message. what should I do about that?
  2. He always offers me one amount and after the work, he bargains with me to reduce it. Is it allowed? 
  3. My JSS has just started. How it will affect my JSS?

1. Report the client for asking for free work.
2. He has no intention to pay you for the work he already has in his system. Next time make sure it is an hourly job. He violates the ToS by not paying the agreed rate.

3. Report him so he will be removed from the platform. Feedback from suspended clients is not included into the JSS.

Thank you for your response. I reported it. Hope other freelancers won't
suffer from this client in future.

Chaitra H wrote:
Thank you for your response. I reported it. Hope other freelancers won't
suffer from this client in future.

I think it would have been better to have politely gotten out of the contract and closed it before you reported this client. There's no guarantee that Upwork will suspend him or that his feedback won't count against you. Anyway, it's done now, so good luck.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members