cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Abuse - Lack of Support - How to protect freelancer work?

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
11 of 33

Abrar A wrote:

For you, the story begins with me changing the locks.
No, it doesn't begin there. That's just the place where the story fundamentally and irrevocably changes. Up to that point, the client was in the wrong and you were right. At that point, you did something SO wrong, that all of the rest of the conflict became insignificant. 

You had remedies available to you, but instead of using proper channels, you opted to do something completely unacceptable in business and potentially criminal.

Had you come here before you took that step, everyone would have been on your side and advised you on how to get paid. But, that's not the decision you made.  By the time you got here, you'd made yourself the bad guy, and the biggest thing in the story was your crime.

Abrar A Member Since: Jan 26, 2016
12 of 33

I contacted the support before I took the step. They understood the client was being unreasonable. 
The client had already insulted and accused me while they had the new information and work done for review.
The Support asked to speak to the client and wait for a dispute. The next day more abuses had piled up and the client refused to review the work or to admit they ever asked me to change the password (which was in the chat). ONLY then I did it.

I have never been in such a situation in my 8 years.

Edit: I am not happy about how it turned out, I didn't want this to happen. I didn't want to be in this situation that's why I turned to the Support before it turned that way. I would speak to the client, complete the work and move on. But the client won't budge. Mistakes were made from both sides and I offered completing the work multiple times.

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
13 of 33

Abrar A wrote:

I contacted the support before I took the step. They understood the client was being unreasonable. 
The client had already insulted and accused me while they had the new information and work done for review.
The Support asked to speak to the client and wait for a dispute. The next day more abuses had piled up and the client refused to review the work or to admit they ever asked me to change the password (which was in the chat). ONLY then I did it.

So you don't like the way a client behaved and it forced you to become a criminal. Tell it to the FBI. 

Community Guru
14 of 33

Abrar A wrote:

So at that point, you decided that winning this battle was worth enough to do the wrong thing, perhaps commit a crime, trash your professional reputation, and basically give up everything you've built up over 8 years to ensure that you didn't lose out to this client. That seems like a poor choice to me, but it's the one you made, and you are where you are.

15 of 33

Unfortunately that's not what I decided. I decided to contact the support to step in to ask the client to review the work and realize that I had acted according to the instructions.

I didn't plan on that. I had 8 years to plan such things, I didn't. Please save your insults. 

This thread is marked as solved already. Thank you for the contribution.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
16 of 33

Abrar,

Your client sounds the worst ever. Unfortunately,you also made a bad mistake. However, whatever the rights and wrongs of this horrible experience, you need to concentrate on damage limitation. If you take this to arbitration, I don't think you will win,and that would probably get your account suspended. 

You are in a lose-lose situation and it's serious, so bite on the bullet and refund the client and don't argue the toss any further. This will impact your JSS, but as you are top-rated, you can use your perk to have all feedback removed (private and public) provided you haven't used the perk in the last three months. If this job causes you to lose your top-rated status, you must use the perk within two weeks of losing it. 

I hope this helps a bit. 

(Please don't ever block a client's account again - it is an absolute no-no, even if you feel it is justified.)

17 of 33

Thanks. I never knew about the feedback hiding perk, I never had to use it.

Thanks a lot.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
18 of 33

Abrar A wrote:

Thanks. I never knew about the feedback hiding perk, I never had to use it.

You may not be able to use it, as what you did will count as a policy violation and may well lose you your Top Rated status (for 3 months) anyway.

Community Guru
19 of 33

The thing you don't seem to want to accept is that you showed your true colors here. No matter what the client did to provoke it, you've shown yourself to be a person that no reasonable client would ever trust with access to his site--and you've done it in a forum that is accessible not just to all Upwork clients, but to the public. The more you justify yourself, the more you demonstrate how flawed your professional judgment is and how risky it would be to work with you.

20 of 33

Yes, thanks. It is very risky to work with me and my client feedback and profile show it really well.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS