cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Client Added Extra Milestones After I Completed Original Agreement

9be5ad07
Timothy J B Member Since: Jun 7, 2018
1 of 13

I have a contract with a client where in the terms we agreed upon 3 milestones. All 3 have now been completed and paid. 

He however decided to add a 4th withouth my agreeing to it. 

I never agreed to do more work with this client, but now this contract remains open with an unfulfilled milestone (that I never agreed to in the first place).

I of course want to end this, but it seems either way I'll take a JSS hit. Either I will get hit due to closing out an active milestone/contract, or from the impending review from the client since he wants more work and I don't want to do it. 

Any way around this as I should not really be in this position to begin with?

charles_kozierok
Community Guru
Charles K Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
2 of 13

As always, start by talking to the client. Why did he add the milestone?

Is there a reason you don't want to do it?

9be5ad07
3 of 13

1. Why should I have to renogiate with the client as the orginal agreed upon terms have been completed?

2. Why did he add the milestone? He must want more work on top of what's been completed. We agreed to three self contained tasks each with their own milestone. All three were completed. This is a fourth self contained task that I did not agree to. 

3. I should not need a reason as the orignal agreed upon scop of work has already been completed. but, if there must be a rewason it's because I already completed what we agreed to in the terms and his apporval of the previous milestones shows that. 

Thank you for the reply but it doesnt really answer my previous questions. 

I am now trapped in a contract that I did not agree to.

I am basically in a position where I either do work I did not agree to (forever in therory as he can just keep adding milestones), or I cancel the contract and take a JSS hit eventhough I completed it succesfully. 

This seems like a bit of a problem. 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 13

A bit of communication goes a long way.

Is the milestone funded? Don't you want the work and the money?

Personally I'd tell the client you'd prefer to end the current contract as it's been finished, and do any future work on a new contract. Encourage the client to end the contract.

If the client offers a new contract you can decide whether to take it or not.

9be5ad07
5 of 13

No I don't want to work with this client any more. But, yes, if we do any more work I would want a new contract. 

I just don't understand how I am now stuck inside this contract though we agreed to 3 milestones. 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 13

@Timothy J B wrote:

I just don't understand how I am now stuck inside this contract though we agreed to 3 milestones. 

It's been brought up before but you are not "stuck" - just talk nicely to the client and explain that it's been great working with them but that you are not available for the 4rth milestone.

Diplomatically, of course.

9be5ad07
7 of 13

I am basically held hostage by the JSS score I guess then. Though successfully completing the agreed upon terms, I now have to end a contract manually and risk leaving a bad taste in this client's mouth because I won't continue to do unagreed upon work.

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
8 of 13

Do you suppose that if, prior to assigning the milestone, the client had asked you to perform more work and you had said no, you would be less stuck? If the client is going to give you a bad review because you reject them, it doesn't matter whether the rejection comes before or after a milestone has been added. You are in a trap of your own making. 

9be5ad07
9 of 13

That makes no sense. If a contract is completed and the client is happy with the work, then all is well. All agreed upon terms were succefully completed. 

But, if they can just keep adding milestones after the fact, there's not clean way out. 

Here should be the flow - 

1. contract is agreed upon

2. work is done, contract completed

3. every one is happy, + reviews all around

4. new contract is offered after 1-3

However, that is not what's happening. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
10 of 13

Timothy, your concerns are valid in that the client does retain the ability to rate you after assigning a milestone that you decline to do.

But as Tonya notes, the client always had the ability to rate you when a contract is over, no matter what.

I think you should not worry so much about this, though. I have been through the same situation, and I find that clients understand and they still value the work I have done for them thus far, and they rate me accordingly.

I always try to explain that I don't have experience in what they need for the next milestone, or my schedule won't let me get the work done in the timeframe they need, or whatever the reason it is. I think most clients are reasonable and will be grateful for steering them in the right direction even when that means they need to hire someone else.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS