Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Added Extra Milestones After I Completed Original Agreement

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
11 of 13

@Timothy J B wrote:

I am basically held hostage by the JSS score I guess then. Though successfully completing the agreed upon terms, I now have to end a contract manually and risk leaving a bad taste in this client's mouth because I won't continue to do unagreed upon work.

Which part of "communicate with the client" is so hard to understand?

You don't have to do anything that threatens your JSS, and even if, you have your top rated perk to remove one contract from the calculation if you haven't used it in the last 3 months and 10 contracts.

What is so terribly hard about communicating with the client?

bobafett999
Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
12 of 13

Preston has the right idea.  Play dumb and stupid.  Tell him you know bit about the new work, but you do not have the skill set to perform the work in timely and cost-effective manner.

charles_kozierok
Community Guru
Charles K Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
13 of 13

I understand what he's getting at here, and he has a point. A fixed price contract seems like "one and done" but due to milestones, it really isn't.

That said, it's no different than terminating any other project, whether initially set up as "one and done" or with milestones or hourly. In each case you have to communicate with the client, possibly tell the client something he or she doesn't want to hear, and risk getting a hit to your profile.

Unfortunately that's just how the system is. We have a JSS that our success depends on, and clients really don't, and so they have more power in the relationship. But that doesn't mean we can't manage the situation, of course.

The bottom line is that a reasonable client isn't going to ding you for asking to remove a milestone, while a jerk client can ding you even if no milestone is created. They are somewhat orthogonal matters.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS