🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client Asking for Crypto exchange
Page options
ehsanul_hoq
Community Member

Client Asking for Crypto exchange

Today I received one interview for a content writing project. After applying to the project I got a message from the client to exchange crypto on behalf of him. I've already reported the message and declined the work.

The client persisted to hire me but I think this can be a scam. Can anyone look into the issue? Many freelancers are applying for the job.

20 REPLIES 20
pgiambalvo
Community Member

I've already rejected the project. 

nyonomega0
Community Member

Those freelancers who are applying for the job will probably get scammed. Unfortunately. 😔

Upwork has also removed the "My Network" feature which could have been useful in warning those freelancers.

I think so. Many new freelancers might take the bait.

If they are new, they had the chance to read the now improved ToS.  It can't be written any clearer than this:

Screenshot 2022-04-05 at 14-50-32 Upwork Legal Center.png

Sushant B wrote: Upwork has also removed the "My Network" feature

I still have it.

It is not available to me. Maybe there are some special requirements for it.

If freelancers apply for a content writing job but are then told that it's a completely different type of job - one that pays ridiculously well despite requiring no particular experience or skill - then they should be able to figure out that it's a scam, just like the OP did.

I see, thank you for the clarification.

Exactly. But we will still see those thinking they can get away with it since the post mentions something else. The fact is that they won't get away with it.

How can someone think that hiding a totally different task under a job post will go smoothly or is legit?

Sophie A wrote:

Exactly. But we will still see those thinking they can get away with it since the post mentions something else. The fact is that they won't get away with it.

Yes - it sounds like these crypto freelancers are indeed raising suspicions that these jobs are too good to be true, and are being assured by the scammers that Upwork will pay them anyway. Clearly, they don't care if a job is legit or not, as long as they think that they'll make a lot of money and Upwork will be left holding the bag, not them.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Mohammed,

Unless you know a client well and trust him/her completely, don't even consider spending your own money on their behalf for any purpose.

If they're legitimate, there are very, very few situations where they cannot pay for something needed for your work on their behalf and then give you access to it.

Will L wrote:

Unless you know a client well and trust him/her completely, don't even consider spending your own money on their behalf for any purpose.

There is not a different rule for client you know or trust. Any transaction outside of Upwork (like buying thing from clients or on their behalf) is a violation of Upwork's Terms of Service

No, Sophie, that is simply not true.

I can buy an airline ticket using my own credit card to meet a client, but the client can only reimburse me via Upwork. Which introduces the problem of me receiving the amount due minus Upwork's fees, so I'd request/require the client to pay for my airline ticket out of their pocket, not reimburse me for buying the ticket myself.

Bottom line is no disbursement from you, and client pays for what is needed.

sofia2008
Community Member

Thank you for reporting this here.

We saw recent situation where people thought they could get away with making free money against Terms of Service because the job post was mentionning content writing when it was in fact crypto trading.

Here is how it usually turns out. People are hired to buy crypto, PUBG, USDT, BTC, even equipment in exchange for a bonus bigger than the purchase needed. The freelancer gets the bonus, buys the crypto, and later on, there is a problem with the payment method of the client and the bonus amounts is removed, leaving the freelancer with no revenue, and unrefundable expense for whatever they bought.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

No, Sophie, the bottom line is not no disbursement by the freelancer on behalf of a client.

Upwork has no rule that says a freelancer can't make a payment for something that is needed in relation to a client's project. Upwork's only rule in this respect is that reimbursement to the freelancer from the client must pass through Upwork's payment system, resulting in fees to Upwork that Upwork really hasn't earned because the freelancer hasn't earned anything either. Upwork makes no allowance for no fees on reimbursements, likely because Upwork has no way to ensure a claimed reimbursement is actually a reimbursement.

Paying for cryptocurrency is just a foolish thing to do. Upwork knows that doing so will result in the freelancer losing money to a thieving "client." The reimbursement part of such a foolish transaction is not necessarily the reason Upwork more or less bans cryptocurrency trading by freelancers. Some people have to be protected from themselves.

A

Will L wrote:

Upwork has no rule that says a freelancer can't make a payment for something that is needed in relation to a client's project.

Yes, they do. "Being asked to buy, sell, trade, or transfer any form of currency, even for a fee on Upwork, is prohibited and should be reported." 

Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 2.14.35 pm.png

wlyonsatl
Community Member

No, Christine, that is not what I said.

Yes, Upwork has rules against purchasing cryptocurrencies as a transaction, which involves the freelancer making payment to the "client." This is very different than a freelancer paying a third party for a product or service that is needed in order to successfully complete a legitimate project, which does not involve the freelancer making any payment to the client.

Can you see the difference between a currency transaction and a project? If not, that's on you. Upwork clearly does see a difference, and they are the party that counts.

'Nuff said.

Of course I can see the difference; what worries me is you muddying the waters for anyone else who might be reading this thread, which is specifically related to purchasing crypto and not about anything else.

I quoted exactly what you said: "Upwork has no rule that says a freelancer can't make a payment for something that is needed in relation to a client's project." If a client wants a freelancer to buy crypto, then buying crypto is "something that's needed in relation to a client's project", but still, not allowed. Just to be absolutely clear.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members