🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client Asking for ID
Page options
seanking96
Community Member

Client Asking for ID

I've been given a job offer from a client and they're asking me for pictures of the front and back of my ID, full address and phone number. I've informed them that they can contact Upwork to validate my identity but they insist on it. Stating it's their hiring process.

As much as I'd like the job, I'm worried whether I should do it or not.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

(I like Robert Y.'s answer. But I'll elaborate and provide some other ideas...)

Should you do it or not?
I can't answer that question for you.

There are scammers and identity thieves out there. And there are legitimate clients who actually do have a hiring process.

I think it IS strange that anybody would ask for these things. It is NOT normal for Upwork clients to ask for these. A typical client should be satisfied with the accurate answer you provided: That Upwork has this information on file. When a client asks me for something like this, I simply tell them that Upwork has that information and I authorize them to ask Upwork anything they want to ask in order to verify me. Upwork personnel are trained to handle this question appropriately. For example, Upwork Customer Support representatives are able to explain Upwork's extensive identity verification protocols to clients, without actually doing something like providing them a freelancer's social security number of a scan of their passport.

I can tell you this:

If a client wants my phone number, I can provide him with a project-specific phone number. The doesn't need my prime phone number. I can go to Google Voice and create a phone number that is used only for Upwork projects. Or one that is used only for this project.

If the client wants my full address, I can provide him with a PO Box (including one with a virtual post office box service such as ipostal1.com). Or I can provide him with my temporary office address. Or I can provide him with the address of my local post office.

If a client wants to see my ID, I can scan the front and back of my government-issued ID (such as a driver's license) and I can use an image editor (such as Photoshop) to blur or black out sensitive information, such as the ID number or the address.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
roberty1y
Community Member

Sean K wrote:
I've been given a job offer from a client and they're asking me for pictures of the front and back of my ID, full address and phone number. I've informed them that they can contact Upwork to validate my identity but they insist on it. Stating it's their hiring process.

As much as I'd like the job, I'm worried whether I should do it or not.

Don't do it. Nobody needs to see your ID. More than likely, they're doing it in the hope of stealing your identity for the purpose of financial fraud, etc. And, much as you'd like the job, it probably doesn't exist.

Yeah that's the vibe I was getting, especially during the interview process. Thanks for the responses.
prestonhunter
Community Member

(I like Robert Y.'s answer. But I'll elaborate and provide some other ideas...)

Should you do it or not?
I can't answer that question for you.

There are scammers and identity thieves out there. And there are legitimate clients who actually do have a hiring process.

I think it IS strange that anybody would ask for these things. It is NOT normal for Upwork clients to ask for these. A typical client should be satisfied with the accurate answer you provided: That Upwork has this information on file. When a client asks me for something like this, I simply tell them that Upwork has that information and I authorize them to ask Upwork anything they want to ask in order to verify me. Upwork personnel are trained to handle this question appropriately. For example, Upwork Customer Support representatives are able to explain Upwork's extensive identity verification protocols to clients, without actually doing something like providing them a freelancer's social security number of a scan of their passport.

I can tell you this:

If a client wants my phone number, I can provide him with a project-specific phone number. The doesn't need my prime phone number. I can go to Google Voice and create a phone number that is used only for Upwork projects. Or one that is used only for this project.

If the client wants my full address, I can provide him with a PO Box (including one with a virtual post office box service such as ipostal1.com). Or I can provide him with my temporary office address. Or I can provide him with the address of my local post office.

If a client wants to see my ID, I can scan the front and back of my government-issued ID (such as a driver's license) and I can use an image editor (such as Photoshop) to blur or black out sensitive information, such as the ID number or the address.

5b79c2e4
Community Member

I literally just had someone tell me that in order to move forward with the process that I needed to verify myself via ID.Me.  It was a Data Entry job with "Invitation Homes."  Be mindful. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members