🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client Budget Issue
Page options
rahman_ashfaqur
Community Member

Client Budget Issue

Hello Community Members,

I am going through a issue with a client. He paid me half the contract budget. I wanted to remove all the work i did for him and cancel the order. He says, he want to pay me half and come to an agreement. I did come to an agreement and he paid half the contract budget.

Main part now, he gave me 1 star rating. Which i don't want at all. I delivered him 100% work and now i need to face this. 

Please Community Members, please guide me what to do now.

Thanks in advance.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ashfaqur R wrote:

Please let me know, what should i do now. I don't want my Upwork profile to be affected. I have great previous reviews in my account.

I am ready to remove all the work i did for him and then cancel the contract.

You accepted reduced payment to resolve an issue the client had with your work, which has now become their work. Even if you still had a working login to remove all the work you did for this client, that would be acting in bad faith and also possibly a crime.

I cannot empasize enough how bad a plan that is.

Even if you refund all the client's money this contract will continue to impact your job success score (assuming the client left bad private feedback, which seems likely). You have a number of successful jobs with high ratings and positive comments, and you can't let fear of one bad review pressure you into hasty action (especially since some unscrupulous clients will exploit that fear to manipulate you).

You've asked more than once in this thread what you should do. You had an unfortunate experience with a client that you can't make "just go away", so focus on what you actually can do. Invest the money in more connects, consider what you can do to better vet clients and manage expectations in the future, and keep moving forward.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
petra_r
Community Member

Ashfaqur R wrote:

I am going through a issue with a client. He paid me half the contract budget. I wanted to remove all the work i did for him and cancel the order.

Why?

Hello Petra,

It seems like he doesn't want to pay me. He made me wait for a week. He even took away the access of this WP admin dashboard. When all my work was done. I have all the proofs and screenshot of my work. Please kindly help me with this. Thank you so much for the fast response.

Ashfaqur R wrote:

It seems like he doesn't want to pay me. He made me wait for a week. He even took away the access of this WP admin dashboard. When all my work was done. I have all the proofs and screenshot of my work. Please kindly help me with this. Thank you so much for the fast response.

There really isn't anything that can be done,. So the client "made you wait for a week? Clients have 14 days to review your work. It looks like the client wasn't very happy with the work. You agreed to a half price solution and the client left feedback that reflected how they felt about their experience working with you.

What was the client's previous hiring history like? What feedback do they usually give their freelancers?

Unfortunately the effect on your JSS will likely be significant and even if the client changed their public feedback, private feedback, which is what has the effect on the JSS, can't be changed.

Please let me know, what should i do now. I don't want my Upwork profile to be affected. I have great previous reviews in my account.

I don't want the bad feedback affect me, whereas i did everything for him. Upwork should help me with this issue.

Many thanks

Ashfaqur R wrote:

You accepted reduced payment to resolve an issue the client had with your work, which has now become their work. Even if you still had a working login to remove all the work you did for this client, that would be acting in bad faith and also possibly a crime.

I cannot empasize enough how bad a plan that is.

Even if you refund all the client's money this contract will continue to impact your job success score (assuming the client left bad private feedback, which seems likely). You have a number of successful jobs with high ratings and positive comments, and you can't let fear of one bad review pressure you into hasty action (especially since some unscrupulous clients will exploit that fear to manipulate you).

You've asked more than once in this thread what you should do. You had an unfortunate experience with a client that you can't make "just go away", so focus on what you actually can do. Invest the money in more connects, consider what you can do to better vet clients and manage expectations in the future, and keep moving forward.

I'm curious why you gave a 5-star rating and positive comment as feedback for a client who complained about your work and then pressured you into accepting half the agreed-upon amount.

The good news is that you have a number of other completed jobs with great feedback, and prospective clients will see that. You can't control what clients do (especially with feedback), so it's best to just consider what you could have done differently and apply that knowledge going forward.

Hello Adam,

Thanks for the response. Actually i had to review him to see my review. As you already know. What should i do now. Kindly suggest me please.

re: "What should i do now?"

I suggest that you keep the money you have already been paid.

Don't do any more work for this client.

Never again work for this client.

Other than that, this is in the past. Move on.

Hello,

Should i refund him the rest budget that is still in th Escrow.

Thanks for the response

Ashfaqur R wrote:

Should i refund him the rest budget that is still in th Escrow.

How much was the contract for originally? If it was for $ 200, then you were paid half already. If you agreed to half the payment and the contract was for $ 200 then yes, of course you should. 

re: "Should i refund him the rest budget that is still in th Escrow."

If I had a had a contract with a client and the plan was for the client to pay me $100.... But later I agreed with the client that I would accept only $50.... Then I would stick with my agreement.

If I had a fixed-price contract with a client, and that contract is now CLOSED, then there is no longer any money in escrow.

If I had a contract with a client, and I can see the client's feedback, then it means the contract is CLOSED.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members