🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client Cancelled Contract and Requesting Escr...
Page options
djsladjan
Community Member

Client Cancelled Contract and Requesting Escrow Refund

Hello to all,

It was the first time that a client had end a contract so far and asked for money back, since I had
sent him two examples of my work and he had not answered if he liked the last one I had sent.
Really bad communication with some clients, I've never had this kind of problem with previous clients before, but if he wasn't happy with my example he should have let me know to fix it. The only question I have is whether it will affect on my JSS because like i say I have never had this problem before from any previous clients to end contract like this.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

Sladjan:

If you were hired for a fixed-price contract, and you refund all of the money back to the client... This will result in a zero-pay contract.

This MAY BE THE RIGHT thing to do, in terms of providing good customer service.

But you need to understand that a zero-pay contract hurts your JSS.

You would be better off if you are paid SOMETHING for this contract, even if it is not the full amount.

For the record, my personal position on such matters is this:

Clients should feel free to cancel fixed-price contracts AT ANY TIME. And they should feel free to do so without consulting the freelancer. The proper way to do so is to release all escrow money to the freelancer and close the contract.

If a client wants some money back, then the client should suppress such an emotion and release all remaining escrow money to the freelancer and close the contract. If the client really, really feels like she wants to get money back, then she should talk with the freelancer first, and should offer to release a percentage of the escrow funds to the freelancer equivalent to the percentage of the milestone task that has been completed. The freelancer should agree to such an arrangement.

The client will have left (private) feedback when closing the contract, and that (private) feedback is what will affect the JSS in this case.

If the (private) feedback was unenthusiastic, getting paid something is good for the bank account, but won't help as far as the JSS is concerned.

If it affects your JSS and you still have it available, use your top-rated perk.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Saldjan, 

I'm sorry to learn about your experience with this client. You may read this help article for more information on how your Job Success Score is computed, and this help article to know what factors affect your score.

You may also read this help article for more information on disputing the non-release of milestone payment. Hopefully this gets resolved soon.

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths