🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client Changing Payment Method
Page options
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Client Changing Payment Method

I have a new client who says she needs to change the payment method on her account from one credit  card she used to use to a different card she wants to use now.

Will the project be put on hold while Upwork confirms this new credit card?

12 REPLIES 12
petra_r
Community Member

Will L wrote:

I have a new client who says she needs to change the payment method on her account from one credit  card she used to use to a different card she wants to use now.

Will the project be put on hold while Upwork confirms this new credit card?

The smoothest and easiest way to do this is to first add the new card, then verify it if necessary, and then set the new one to primary payment before removing the old card.

That way there is no interuption.

She doesn't want the formerly used card to be charged for my work on the current project (which has already started!), so does she need to go ahead and "cancel" that card in the Upwork system, which would make an interruption unavoidable as we wait for the new card to be verified?

This is an hourly project, if that makes any difference.

Hi Will,

Feel free to reach out to me via PM with your contract ID. Our team will reach out to your client and assist them with adding their new billing method as soon as possible. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thanks, Goran.

Will L wrote:

She doesn't want the formerly used card to be charged for my work on the current project (which has already started!), so does she need to go ahead and "cancel" that card in the Upwork system, which would make an interruption unavoidable as we wait for the new card to be verified?

Then she needs to get the new card set up and verified before Monday afternoon UTC.

She can not "cancel" the only payment method on file, it's not physically possible, but she has until Monday afternoon UTC to get the new card verified, which is plenty, that's nearly 3 days.

Once she gets her new card approved by Upwork I would expect her to remove the old card from Upwork's system.

I have been telling her since Monday that she needs to get this sorted out, but she's the kind of client who thinks she's just too busy to be bothered with understanding how Upwork works and sorting out problems she doesn't understand.

If I stop working on her project, that will get her attention.

Ideally, by Monday she can get the new card approved by Upwork, issue two bonus payments to me on the new card and have this week's work hours billed to the new card.

Will L wrote:

If I stop working on her project, that will get her attention.

LOL, it will, won't it...

Really CC verification can be done in minutes and really isn't that difficult

All she has to do is go to her billing methods, click on "add" - enter the details, go to her online banking, look at the two small amounts (even one of them will do because they add up to $ 10, so if you have one, you have both), enter them in the two fields and that's it.

abbby512
Community Member

Hi. My client has a same problem. She wants to change billing method by changing her card but will the employer still get charged the same fees? 

Are these still applicable?

20% for the first $500 billed with the client.
10% for lifetime billings with the client between $500.01 and $10,000.
5% for lifetime billings with the client that exceed $10,000.

Hi Abigail,

As a freelancer, you’re charged a sliding fee based on your lifetime billings with each non-Enterprise client. This includes all contracts you’ve ever had with that client. Service fees are the same whether the contracts are hourly or fixed-price. Please know that service fees apply to contracts and not on the client's billing method.

~ Joanne
Upwork
abbby512
Community Member

Thanks for the reply Joanne.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members