🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client Cheated
Page options
v_sachdeva
Community Member

Client Cheated

I shared all the files over Upwork one after the other and updated the same to my client over whatsapp every time I did that. And, every time he responded by sharing his reviews like " i liked it", "all good"...

Now after the invoice was raised, suddenly he felt he wouldnt use it and rejected my work in totality. What can i do?

For obvious reasons he never responded over Upwork I guess.

Can I be duped of this money? He has asked for a refund and I sure am not going to do that.

This is my first gig on the platform and considering his good reviews I had requested him to share a good feedback for me once the contract ended. This has left me truly disheartened.

Please guide on what can I do. I have alreday raised a request with Upwork Support to connect with me.

3 REPLIES 3
robin_hyman
Community Member

You don't have to give a refund. How much money is this for?

Robin this was on the lower side of $100. Since its my first gig, I really dont know how this works actually...if I cancel/reject refund, will I be getting the dues in my account or can he any how hold that by any means?

Vandana S wrote:

Robin this was on the lower side of $100. Since its my first gig, I really dont know how this works actually...if I cancel/reject refund, will I be getting the dues in my account or can he any how hold that by any means?

If you cancel the refund, he can't hold the money. It was already put into escrow. He can, however, dispute. 

Here is some information about the dispute process:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062158-Dispute-an-Agency-or-Freelancer-s-Hours

Personally, if I did the work as asked, I would not refund. If you end up refunding, the client can still provide negative feedback which will have a greater impact on your JSS (when you get one) than public feedback. 

In the future, do a better job of screening clients. Read previous reviews the client gave and also received. Use the Upwork chat feature to have a discovery call where you ask questions and establish a connection with the client. 

Hope it works out for you.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members