🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client Communications
Page options
ilannamandel
Community Member

Client Communications

Hello:

I began working with a very nice company out of Australia about 5 weeks ago. They have praised my work and complimented the courses I designed for them. Then, they even raised the amount they would pay. But, to do that they switched from hourly to fixed price, even though I expressed concerns over the fixed price process. Still, I spoke with them via Zoom, and they were very nice about everything. 

I have completed 4 out of the 8 modules, and all of a sudden they stopped communicating. I haven't heard from them in several days and I don't know why. They haven't expressed any concerns over the work. I gave up 2 other contracts to be free to do this and they know that. Any advice? 

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

Focus on other clients.

i don't have any others as I took this on full time because they asked me to. So I agreed to the 8 week contract and now I don't know what's happening and they won't tell me. I don't understand what happened. 

sjbercot
Community Member

Do you need to be in contact with them to continue to submit milestones, or do you require their feedback before finishing? If they've simply gone silent but you have everything you need to get the job done, finish whatever milestones they've already approved and submt your work/request payment as usual. They could be MIA for any number of reasons that have nothing to do with you. National holiday in Australia? 😉

If you can't finish without them, for now, there's not much to do than focus on other things or try to win other jobs. I wouldn't badger them too much about coming back, they know where you are and how to find you, But you never know if they'll pop back up in a month or six. I've had clients do that.

tlbp
Community Member

ILANNA M wrote:

Hello:

I began working with a very nice company out of Australia about 5 weeks ago. They have praised my work and complimented the courses I designed for them. Then, they even raised the amount they would pay. But, to do that they switched from hourly to fixed price, even though I expressed concerns over the fixed price process. Still, I spoke with them via Zoom, and they were very nice about everything. 

I have completed 4 out of the 8 modules, and all of a sudden they stopped communicating. I haven't heard from them in several days and I don't know why. They haven't expressed any concerns over the work. I gave up 2 other contracts to be free to do this and they know that. Any advice? 

Thanks!

That's a tough situation. Can you afford not to seek other clients while you wait? I would probably look for an opportunity (or two) that I felt I could weave into the workload even if the client reappears tomorrow. 

Most clients in my niche realize that if they aren't keeping me busy, I'll have to add someone else to the mix and then everyone has to wait their turn. I don't delay people by weeks, but I have no problem saying, "I'm finishing up a project right now and can start your next phase on X day." In your case, if the client wants you available full-time and on-call, they should pay you a weekly amount to reserve your time. 

I've noticed, btw, that Upwork messaging isn't alerting me to any of my messages lately--not even when I open the message tab. I have to look in each client's message "room" to see if they've been in touch. So, if you are using Upwork to correspond, your clients may not know you've tried to reach them. If you have another way to contact them, I'd write something like, "I haven't heard from you about the next module. I'm filling in the rest of my schedule for the month, should I plan to add you?" (Something like that)

Client has reached out and we have discussed the work and it's fine, but I'm still looking out for other opportunities as I don't think it's a good idea to be so dependent on a  single contract. 

I ALWAYS look for new opportnities. One fo the perils of being a full time freeancer 🙂

Sometime you dont have enough work, so you hang around, and spmetimes you need to work your **Edited for Community Guidelines** off. That's why it's better to always search for clients. When I get a new client, they usually ask me when can I start. If I have too much work, I try to postpone start for a few days. It usually works, unless a client has a super urgent situation.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members