cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Client Dilemma - Is this all worth it?

irishtl
Irish T. L Member Since: Aug 29, 2015
1 of 13

Hi. I need some help. I need someone to enlighten me on where exactly have I done wrong. Perhaps the sudden drop of my JS from another client who paid so little and added more to the job description made the difference. 

Well, let's start with the urgent one. I thought I found a nice client. She was extra friendly and nice, so I accepted a low offer even if the task requires more than what she advertised in the job posting. I did more than what was expected, 2-3x more than the other freelancers. We were in friendly terms until I asked for a raise, considering that she has often praised me as one of her best reviewers when I asked for a leave since I had a trip overseas. 

When i was away, out of curiosity and with the intention of monitoring my pace compared to others, I checked the progress of other freelancers working on the same job with her. She hired more than 10 on the same project. I discovered that on their 2nd or 3rd milestone, they were already given a higher rate. I felt betrayed since I was always praised, and i worked 2-3x more than the # of milestones given to most of them. Now, I asked for a higher rate citing that I simply am asking what others are getting since she said she "values" my work.

Well, it looks like that honest move was met with contempt. To make the story short, I started to see her true colors. She cited that complicated ones deserve  the 0.50 raise, but if I can only show here our private messages, she assigned quite a number of complicated ones to me before. Anyway, with the same rate, she is trying now to piss me off like refusing my suggestions with such lame reason as she does not like turkey because she is a vegan when she in fact is just an agent; how could that possibly matter?

I am here at Upwork not for financial reasons that's why I am picky with the projects I choose. But for goodness sake, my work has value. I am willing to compromise a little, hoping to establish a career here for I prefer to work at home. But if this is the way freelancers are treated, despite the honest work, I really wanna quit now. If my work is really below the standard, I should have received feedback, but so far, I have not, With the 4.0, I did more than what was expected of me even if it requires some special knowledge/expertise. If indeed, she was not satisfied, she could have given feedback after the 1st and 2nd milestones! And For this last one, it was always praises.

I feel lost! Help!

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
2 of 13

@Irish T. L wrote:

Hi. I need some help. I need someone to enlighten me on where exactly have I done wrong. Perhaps the sudden drop of my JS from another client who paid so little and added more to the job description made the difference. 

Well, let's start with the urgent one. I thought I found a nice client. She was extra friendly and nice, so I accepted a low offer even if the task requires more than what she advertised in the job posting. I did more than what was expected, 2-3x more than the other freelancers. We were in friendly terms until I asked for a raise, considering that she has often praised me as one of her best reviewers when I asked for a leave since I had a trip overseas. 

When i was away, out of curiosity and with the intention of monitoring my pace compared to others, I checked the progress of other freelancers working on the same job with her. She hired more than 10 on the same project. I discovered that on their 2nd or 3rd milestone, they were already given a higher rate. I felt betrayed since I was always praised, and i worked 2-3x more than the # of milestones given to most of them. Now, I asked for a higher rate citing that I simply am asking what others are getting since she said she "values" my work.

Well, it looks like that honest move was met with contempt. To make the story short, I started to see her true colors. She cited that complicated ones deserve  the 0.50 raise, but if I can only show here our private messages, she assigned quite a number of complicated ones to me before. Anyway, with the same rate, she is trying now to piss me off like refusing my suggestions with such lame reason as she does not like turkey because she is a vegan when she in fact is just an agent; how could that possibly matter?

I am here at Upwork not for financial reasons that's why I am picky with the projects I choose. But for goodness sake, my work has value. I am willing to compromise a little, hoping to establish a career here for I prefer to work at home. But if this is the way freelancers are treated, despite the honest work, I really wanna quit now. If my work is really below the standard, I should have received feedback, but so far, I have not, With the 4.0, I did more than what was expected of me even if it requires some special knowledge/expertise. If indeed, she was not satisfied, she could have given feedback after the 1st and 2nd milestones! And For this last one, it was always praises.

I feel lost! Help!

Irish,

I think it  would be better not to engage with this client on ethical issues because you are not likely to win. It is not clear whether or not you have now ended the contract, but I would certainly terminate it if it is still ongoing - easier said than done, I know.

Your work does have value, but you devalue it by saying you don't care about the money. Well, you should. If you really don't care about it, then give it away when you've earned it. But to state publicly that it is of no object, is to attract the worst type of client. So take this out of your overview: "The remuneration is

secondary . . ." and do not be willing to "compromise" when it comes to scope creep.

gnakeur
Community Guru
Giorgi N Member Since: Dec 5, 2015
3 of 13

You say that remuneration is second in your profile and here you said `I am here at Upwork not for financial reasons`. I don't understand people who claim such things and I think they are just lying thinking that this will make a good impression on the client. It will not. As Nichola said this will just attract bad clients. We are here to make money, to make a lot of money! This is true and everyone who claims opposite is just lying IMO.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
4 of 13

Georgi, I don't believe for one moment that the OP is lying, and I certainly never said that!

gnakeur
Community Guru
Giorgi N Member Since: Dec 5, 2015
5 of 13

Nichola I have never said that you said that OP is lying. I agreed with you on attracting bad client. Don't know why you think so.

irishtl
6 of 13

Thanks Nichola for the caring response.

Giorgi, if you know me personally, you would never say that i am lying. I have been volunteering all my life. But once in a while, it feels good to be paid for your hard work. But I don't want to be taken advantage of. That's why I wrote this post.

But again, in the real world, money is everything. So i understand where you are coming from. Believe it or not, if money is all I want in life, I would have gone to law practice. There is such a thing as "vocation"; I accepted this job because it is in line with my mental health advocacy. The work I do helps those who are struggling with addiction. If I were indeed after the money, i would have accepted an unethical offer in the past to write psych reports (fake) for insurance claims. But I did not.

But well, I guess, I am in the wrong place. 

irishtl
7 of 13

P.S. And Giorgi, I don't think it is inconsistent when I wrote "remuneration is secondary" and "i am not here for financial reasons", because i have always picked projects that I am interested in, not "primarly" for the rate. But perhaps Nichola is right. I should not compromise... People who know me personally are surprised that I am going that low. the credentials I have stated in my profile are 100% real. But I guess, in upwork, or any online freelancing sites, it is a totally different ball game.. 

jsutherland
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
8 of 13

@Irish T. L wrote:

P.S. And Giorgi, I don't think it is inconsistent when I wrote "remuneration is secondary" and "i am not here for financial reasons",  

If I am hiring and I see that it says one thing to me:

I will work for cheap $

When you do this you can't complain about what you are being paid. 

Remove it or continue to have problems with less than stellar clients. You are attracting the worst of the worst.

kulkarni_ashish
Community Guru
Ashish K Member Since: Mar 1, 2016
9 of 13

@Irish T. L wrote:

P.S. And Giorgi, I don't think it is inconsistent when I wrote "remuneration is secondary" and "i am not here for financial reasons", because i have always picked projects that I am interested in, not "primarly" for the rate. But perhaps Nichola is right. I should not compromise... People who know me personally are surprised that I am going that low. the credentials I have stated in my profile are 100% real. But I guess, in upwork, or any online freelancing sites, it is a totally different ball game.. 

It is prudent to not indicate that part of your personality in you profile. There is nothing wrong in charging a decent amount for work of your choice, especially since the rates have been agreed to by the client.

irishtl
10 of 13

Thanks for the advice, Jean, Ashish and Nichola. I appreciate that. Truly, it would be prudent and wise to take that part out from my profile. Again, thanks. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS