🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client Dispute
Page options
jujosam123
Community Member

Client Dispute

This is my situation, I had a client that asked for more tasks than hired time, despite the fact that i used the hired time and off the clock time to deliver results. The client ended the contract and contacted me to deliver tasks that were not completed due to hours ended, and he didn't want to add more hours and closed the contract instead, when I refused to work for free outside the platform he opens a dispute asking for a full refund arguing about the entire work, I've been working in Upwork for the past 4 years are a top-rated freelancer for more than a year thus far, the mediator agreed with the proposed refund to this client and asked to proceed with the refund which I did, now the client still want more refund and threatened with taking it higher, I would like to know what does it mean and if that could hurt my score and how to prevent myself from his attack.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Johanna M. S wrote:

I have already refunded the 25% 

With hourly disputes, all that matters is the work diary. If you have tracked the time correctly, with decent activity levels and meaningful work memos, you are protected and can't be made to refund anything.

If the mediator didn't point that out, they should have done.

I have replied and proceeded as the moderator instructed me, but seems like the client is yet not satisfied with the result and threatened to take this higher, what does that mean?.

Nothing, ultimately. Hourly disputes are very black and white. If you tracked the time according to the terms of the hourly payment protection, you can sit back and simply say that you have done all you were expected and more, and aren't refunding. You already refunded more than you had to.

Say as little as possible, but as much as necessary, and leave it at that.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Johanna,

It is my understand that, in the end, the only real protection a freelancer has from a client's unjustified request for a refund on a fixed price project is to go to arbritration and win. This will cost you $291, but you could play some brinksmanship and tell Upwork you do not accept the Upwork mediator's recommended solution to the dispute.

You don't mention the amount of money at risk here, but you've already agreed to a partial refund, so you can refuse a further refund and the mediator might again side with the client, at which point you might have a choice to agree to no further refund and request the matter be sent to arbitration.

If the client doesn't also agree to go to arbitration, the matter is over. If the client (and Upwork, who also has to pay $291 for arbitration) both agree to arbitration, then follow Upwork's and the arbitrator's instructions to the letter.

Regardless, as a Top Rated freelancer you should be able to remove the client's feedback from your JSS calculations if you haven't used that perk recently.

If any of the above is incorrect, I'm sure someone here will make the necessary corrections.

Good luck!

It is an hourly project, and the mediator basically agreed to my proposed term and follow me to apply the refund base on the evidence provided and the credibility showed in my profile. My concerned is that the client is very rude and basically disrespect the mediator and said would escalate it. We are talking about a contract of $225 which I work the double I got paid and client is asking for 50% unjustified refund, I have already refunded the 25% which was my offer not to leave it like that. but the client is still complaining.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Johanna,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with this contract. It looks like you have an open ticket with our team about this case. Please consider following up on your open ticket and kindly communicate with our team through that ticket if you have any questions, in order to keep all the information in one place. 

~ Bojan
Upwork

I have replied and proceeded as the moderator instructed me, but seems like the client is yet not satisfied with the result and threatened to take this higher, what does that mean?

This is the first time I have been in this type of situation since I started back in 2016. I have managed myself to be on top of my clients expectations (being Top Rated Agent over a year thus far)  and don't want this client to ruin all of my efforts 

Johanna M. S wrote:

I have already refunded the 25% 

With hourly disputes, all that matters is the work diary. If you have tracked the time correctly, with decent activity levels and meaningful work memos, you are protected and can't be made to refund anything.

If the mediator didn't point that out, they should have done.

I have replied and proceeded as the moderator instructed me, but seems like the client is yet not satisfied with the result and threatened to take this higher, what does that mean?.

Nothing, ultimately. Hourly disputes are very black and white. If you tracked the time according to the terms of the hourly payment protection, you can sit back and simply say that you have done all you were expected and more, and aren't refunding. You already refunded more than you had to.

Say as little as possible, but as much as necessary, and leave it at that.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths