🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client Ghosted Me?
Page options
_kate_
Community Member

Client Ghosted Me?

I applied to a posting and was offered the contract the same day. There wasn't an interview or a personalized note with the offer, which I found somewhat odd especially for the field of work this is in (dealing with highly sensitive information). I researched the heck out of the client and they are legit. The business is also legit. I accepted and wrote a personal note that ended with a request for information on next steps. Radio silence...but a start date was established via the contract. 

The start date came and went without a word from the client. I have reached out a few times. No reply. In my most recent note, I gave a firm deadline for communication and, if I do not hear from them, I will consider the contract void. 

This is so odd to me. The client does important work and I am enthusiastic about their company. I have been a freelancer for 15+ years and have never experienced this before. Did I get ghosted or should I give the client the benefit of the doubt? Maybe they're ill or a terrible emergency has happened? 

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Member

There is no such thing as clients "ghosting" freelancers on Upwork.

So, by definition, your client did not "ghost" you.

Clients hire freelancers to work on their behalf. As freelancers, we get paid for the work that we do regardless of if the client replies or does anything.

When I do work, and then get paid, the money I receive is the important part of the equation. I was not ghosted if the client didn't say anything or hire me to do other stuff after that.

If you have done literally no work at all, and been paid nothing at all, then no harm has been done. I would wait, for now. How long ago were you hired?

But in the future, I would advise you to not accept a contract until you have enough information to do at least a small amount of work.

2a05aa63
Community Member

It's best to not accept an offer before having job details. There's a higher risk for you if the contract get closed.

I'd give them a week and I'd close the contract if they don't reply.

_kate_
Community Member

I have job details. I just haven't been assigned a specific task. 

Are you suggesting that specific tasks need to be assigned PRIOR to accepting a contract? 

re: "Are you suggesting that specific tasks need to be assigned PRIOR to accepting a contract?"

For hourly contracts:

I never accept a contract until I can actually do at least ten minutes of work on the project.

i does me no good to accept a contract that I can't actually work on.

For fixed-price contracts, I never accept a contract until I have all of the input files and information I need to COMPLETE the task.

For example, if you are a translator, you shouldn't accept the contract until you receive and review the document that you will be translating. If you are a transcriptionist, you should not accept the contract until you receive the full audio file and listen to it, or at least to enough of it that you know exactly what you are getting into. If you are an illustrator, you should not accept the contract until you have received the complete "brief" (text description of what you need to create).

As a freelancer, I am never going to "just get hired" without having specific tasks to do. It's not like getting hired to work in a physical location, where I can simply show up and clock in and do nothing and get paid hourly to do nothing. As a freelancer, getting hired only makes sense if there is a specific task that I can do. With an hourly contract, there may well be later tasks. There might be only 1 task to start out with, followed by 100 later-assigned tasks. But I need at least 1 to start.

Preston H wrote:

i does me no good to accept a contract that I can't actually work on.

That said, it does you no harm either

roberty1y
Community Member

Kate R said:

I researched the heck out of the client and they are legit. The business is also legit. 

The client is legit, or the person/company they claim to be is legit? There's a lot of impostors here claiming to be from reputable companies. But it seems the client made no request for money, so they're probably OK.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Kate,

Clients come and go here on Upwork.

Whatever the reason your client has gone incommunicado, are you in a hurry to close the project?

If not, I'd wait at least two to three weeks for a response, longer if the project was particularly interesting  or well-paid.

And I wouldn't give the client an ultimatum or deadline. When you do cancel the contract, write them a nice note telling them you only closed the project due to not wanting prospective new clients thinking you are busy with this project when you are not.

Unless you wouldn't want to work for them under any circumstances.

In either case, give this client no more thought unless they come back to you.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members