cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client History Problem-Disgusting Remarks in History

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
1 of 15

I applied for a job yesterday and at that time didn't read the entire history of the client. The client has asked me to get in touch with him this morning via SKYPE. Before sending him my SKYPE NAME I looked throught his complete history. He currently is rated as a 4.96. One entry stands out where he received 1 star. These were the comments. I've had to disguise some of the person's comments as they were written in FULL. 

My questions are, why is he still a client on Odesk, why did support not do something about this situation, and although it was awile ago, and all other feedback is good, I'm very leary about proceeding. Your comments would be welcome.

FREELANCERS REMARKS

**edited for Community Guidelines**

What on earth is going on and why would support and Odesk allow this person to still be listing jobs.

Community Guru
Mattia G Member Since: Mar 10, 2014
2 of 15

Mmm, this is a serious situation, indeed. I guess there's a chance that the freelancer's feedback is a lie... but it's a precise statement nevertheless, and it should be investigated by oDesk. If that turns out to be true, you're dealing with a pervert. And oDesk shouldn't allow such a thing. In my opinion, this "issue" is supposed to be of highest priority. Double accounts, fake profiles or disintermediation cannot be even compared to that. I suggest you to contact oDesk immediately and ask them to review that client's profile. (sorry for any mistake, I'm writing quickly).

“Go then, there are other worlds than these.”
―Stephen King, The Gunslinger
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
3 of 15

Could it be that the client in question is the client that's been talked about here?

Community Guru
4 of 15

I hope so, Krisztina! One perv is a serious problem... but two? I don't mean to sound alarmist, but this kind of things should be stopped from the very beginning. They can really endanger people and put oDesk in a bad light. None of us should remain indifferent.

Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
5 of 15

Hi JS!  Kudos for stepping up! (when OD didn't).

Suggestion: Withdraw your application (your choice, your risk), and report your findings to oDesk Support via the oDesk Help Center https://support.odesk.com/ Supply them with any evidence that you have available. BTW -- It is possible that the feelancer's remarks are not true (esp., when requests for refunds are involved); but that is up to oDesk to determine.

JS, regarding the following "note," this is NOT to say that you have done anything wrong. If support were better trained and capable of handling issues of this nature, then, maybe these issues would not have to be posted here.

Note: As members, is it in our best interest to "air our dirty laundry"? Remember, once on the Internet, always on the Internet. Although I have been both a freelancer and client on oDesk since 2009, if I were a prospective client in search of online contractors, based on everything posted in the "Community," I doubt I would use this platform for business purposes.

Edited 01/09/2015 RT/lwm

Community Guru
6 of 15

Given past experience with Odesk support, I will not be contacting them. Basically it's not my problem, and secondly when communicating with them I might as well be talking to "The Man in the Moon.

My experience with support has been downright unresponsive, to support people who do not have English as a first language and cannot communicate effectively and clearly, I gave up on that option a long time ago. 

Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
7 of 15

Hi JS!  Once again, kudos for stepping up! (when OD didn't).

Community Guru
8 of 15

Well, I can understand your frustration with oDesk support, if you had bad experiences with it in the past... but I think you're not helping anyone, including yourself, by stating that's not your problem. I mean, IF there is some kind of sicko-perv-maniac pretending to be a "normal" client, THEN it is your problem, as well as mine or everyone else's here on oDesk. Hopefully, someone will look deeply into it and take appropriate action (am I right here? I hope so...), even if you don't report the situation. I don't want this platform to become a shelter for sick people. Obviously, if it turns out that it was just a freelancer's big fat lie, that freelancer should be held responsible as well, with all the consequences.  

Community Guru
9 of 15

From other posts here it would appear that support is currently very busy getting rid of good freelancers with good records, without an explanation and with little recourse for them to "improve" their performance.

I've closely watched Valeria responses to some of these people, where she simply tells them they need to follow instrustions to improve, without any idea of what to improve. This is disheartening to say the least and for me shows no indication that support is of any help.

I've now withdrawn my application for the job as it's just too big a risk to take and Gaynor tells us we must choose our jobs carefully so that we don't get bad feedback. That's what I'm doing in this case, even though the client has a 4.96 feedback score. It appears that 1 star, (you can't give anything lower) didn't affect his overall performance at all and until I researched further I would have considered him a good employer. 

Sorry, but I have no faith in the system whatsoever.

If you want to do something, here is the job posting.

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Community Guru
Lyam B Member Since: Nov 3, 2014
10 of 15

Hola!

I don't know whether this client's accusations are true or not. I can see that the freelancer who left the feedback wasn't exactly a "credible" source. If you looked as closely at the freelancer's feedback as well as the client's; you would've seen the freelancer to be equally as disreputable. 

The client said the freelancer had billed hours without doing work. Also, out of 12 completed jobs, she had:

Five 5

One 4.8

One 3.95

One 3.8

One 3

One 1

Also, on the freelancer’s comments, she said:

"However, when his doing the interview process, he asked me to open my cam and I did. He ask me to show my body. he wants cyber sex."

If this was true, why would she have continued the process and accepted a job offer?

My opinions are my opinions and based off all the information I've seen. I personally don't believe the freelancer's comments. I could be wrong...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS