cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Client Invite Limitations

Community Guru
Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
1 of 28

In the town hall today it was mentioned that new clients are not going to be limited to 3 invites anymore.... is this correct? Is this a change from what was rolled out a few weeks ago where it was definitely limited to 3?  She said that it will vary by "what type of job" and "what type of client".  But then she said she didn't want to go into that in this town hall.  Can someone please explain if this is going to be a new change and how it works in terms of the job and the client?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 28

oooooooh now this is good news.

Don't care about connect price at all, but this change made me rage. Cat Mad

Community Guru
3 of 28

Yes! If this client invite limitations changed, then I don't really care about the issue with the connects. But there was no other info provided on the call. I hope someone from Upwork will elaborate on this.

Community Guru
4 of 28

Jessica S wrote:

Yes! If this client invite limitations changed, then I don't really care about the issue with the connects. But there was no other info provided on the call. I hope someone from Upwork will elaborate on this.

Me too. It would be cool if it's changed. They don't seem to announce when they reverse changes, so I wonder if they can tell us.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
5 of 28

But if this is true, then why would clients put up $49.99 for Plus membership? (and why does Plus membership have to have $.99 at the end?)

6 of 28

Jessica S wrote:

This is what they told me on chat after the webinar:

"Upon checking, we often hear from freelancers who are frustrated because they receive too many job post invitations for jobs that don’t match their skills, pay rate, etc. Because of these concerns, we are testing out limiting the number of invites a client can send to three per job post. A very small group of Upwork clients are part of this test and it is just one of the many tests we run as we work to improve Upwork. To send more invitations per job post, client will need to upgrade their post to a “Featured Job.” they can upgrade from the “Post a Job” page if they still have invites remaining."

That is not however what they said during the webinar. She indicated that it's a sliding scale, similar to the new connects pricing. Guess I need to go back and revisit that webinar.

Community Guru
7 of 28

Kelly B wrote:

Jessica S wrote:

This is what they told me on chat after the webinar:

"Upon checking, we often hear from freelancers who are frustrated because they receive too many job post invitations for jobs that don’t match their skills, pay rate, etc. Because of these concerns, we are testing out limiting the number of invites a client can send to three per job post. A very small group of Upwork clients are part of this test and it is just one of the many tests we run as we work to improve Upwork. To send more invitations per job post, client will need to upgrade their post to a “Featured Job.” they can upgrade from the “Post a Job” page if they still have invites remaining."

That is not however what they said during the webinar. She indicated that it's a sliding scale, similar to the new connects pricing. Guess I need to go back and revisit that webinar.

You talked to them on chat after today's town hall and they said that? This "testing it out" thing is what we all read on the forum shortly before they rolled out the Clients Plus plan - that the new 3 invite rule is just being tested with a smalll group of clients. But AFTER that, they rolled out the Client's plus plan and made it law.

I am so confused....

Interesting that no one on Upwork has responded to this. I will keep this thread on the first page of chat until it's answered. This 3 invite rule is the one thing that can ruin my experience on this platform and I would like answers....

Community Leader
Marina R Member Since: Sep 30, 2016
8 of 28

They haven't committed to anything on this particular thing. The answer was pretty vague, something about sliding scale. Thankfully, the host "got it", and that's enough for me. /s

Community Guru
9 of 28

gawd, I really hope they weren't catering to the people who cry about not getting targeted invites. I really hope that's not the reason and they are just throwing the fault on those mental midgets.

I would really like to know, too, Jessica. I feel like 10 is a better number if they want to limit invites. 3 is way too low. It doesn't account for freelancers who will decline or just not answer.

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
10 of 28

Jennifer M wrote:

gawd, I really hope they weren't catering to the people who cry about not getting targeted invites. I really hope that's not the reason and they are just throwing the fault on those mental midgets.

I would really like to know, too, Jessica. I feel like 10 is a better number if they want to limit invites. 3 is way too low. It doesn't account for freelancers who will decline or just not answer.

My thoughts exactly. Limiting invites because UW's poor matching algorithm recommends random FL to clients - just awful. 

Also, as Petra mentioned, client-selected budgets and project lengths are no reliable factors on which to base the amount of connects needed. Clients hire FLs because they need help and more often than not don't know what that entails and how long it will take. That and loads of ridiculously high budgets serving as clickbait...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS