cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Invite Limitations

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
11 of 28

Hi Jessica and others,

Sorry about the delayed reply. Client invitation limits are dynamic, taking into account job and client details. We’ve heard your concerns about the three-invite limit, and we are already planning to allow all clients who post high-value jobs (based on budget and length of project) to invite six freelancers to submit a proposal. This change will occur before the move to paid Connects takes place, however for the next few weeks clients will continue to receive three invites unless they upgrade their job to a “Featured Job” or subscribe to our Client Plus plan.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
12 of 28

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Jessica and others,

Sorry about the delayed reply. Client invitation limits are dynamic, taking into account job and client details. We’ve heard your concerns about the three-invite limit, and we are already planning to allow all clients who post high-value jobs (based on budget and length of project) to invite six freelancers to submit a proposal. This change will occur before the move to paid Connects takes place, however for the next few weeks clients will continue to receive three invites unless they upgrade their job to a “Featured Job” or subscribe to our Client Plus plan.

Thanks Valeria! Can you share what a “high value” project is? Most of mine are one-off $300 to $600 projects but oftentimes many post it in the $200 range (and sometimes lower) and still hire me at my higher rate. How many invites will these clients get?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
13 of 28

Valeria K wrote:

Sorry about the delayed reply. Client invitation limits are dynamic, taking into account job and client details. We’ve heard your concerns about the three-invite limit, and we are already planning to allow all clients who post high-value jobs (based on budget and length of project) to invite six freelancers to submit a proposal.

How many minutes do you guys reckon those clients will need to figure that out and then just post their jobs with artificially inflated budgets to get the higher limit, leading to freelancers wasting even more connects to apply to jobs with a budget that isn't the budget at all.

Personally I think all that "based on budget / length of project" stuff is not going to work.

Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
14 of 28

Petra R wrote:

Valeria K wrote:

Sorry about the delayed reply. Client invitation limits are dynamic, taking into account job and client details. We’ve heard your concerns about the three-invite limit, and we are already planning to allow all clients who post high-value jobs (based on budget and length of project) to invite six freelancers to submit a proposal.

How many minutes do you guys reckon those clients will need to figure that out and then just post their jobs with artificially inflated budgets to get the higher limit, leading to freelancers wasting even more connects to apply to jobs with a budget that isn't the budget at all.

Personally I think all that "based on budget / length of project" stuff is not going to work.

The only way this "based on budget / length of project" idea can work is if clients are penalized in some way if they post a high budget and then award the job at a lower budget.

I was thinking that offending clients may be banned from posting jobs for say, 30 days, but then again clients are untouchable, so I don't think my idea will work either. 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
15 of 28

Reinier B wrote:

I was thinking that offending clients may be banned from posting jobs for say, 30 days, but then again clients are untouchable, so I don't think my idea will work either. 

Why would you be for preventing clients from spending money, banning them for 30 days so they can go to other platforms to post their jobs and never come back?

Every Dollar not spent by a client is a Dollar (well, $ 0.80) not in a freelancer's pocket. Seriously, I don't get people who think preventing clients from spending money is good business practice.

How would sending money away ever be "a good thing?"

There is no profit in "punishing" those who bring the money.

Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
16 of 28

How about charging clients 1-6 connects per invitation, at $0.15 per connect?

Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
17 of 28

Richard W wrote:

How about charging clients 1-6 connects per invitation, at $0.15 per connect?

Woman LOL 

Thanks for the laughs!

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
18 of 28

Petra R wrote:

Valeria K wrote:

Agree. There is no way to reliably gauge project value based on stated time and budget parameters. Instead, they should look at client's hiring history--ratio of hires to posts and avg amount/rate paid. Assigned value of a given post would still be speculative but grounded in more reliable predictors, IMO.

Community Guru
Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
19 of 28

Phyllis G wrote:

Agree. There is no way to reliably gauge project value based on stated time and budget parameters. Instead, they should look at client's hiring history--ratio of hires to posts and avg amount/rate paid. Assigned value of a given post would still be speculative but grounded in more reliable predictors, IMO.

This can't work because this pay to invite thing is only for new clients or ones not active in past 15 months so most won't have a work history.  I also agree it won't work though. They should allow 6 for all.  Many clients put low budgets in but are willing to pay more.

A sliding scale isn't fair because the final price of project may not look at all like the initial budget. Clients are guessing at this stage... why does Upwork have to make everything so difficult? 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
20 of 28

To echo some others, I don't think basing it on client posted budget will work either. Legitimate clients don't really post large budgets. They post a small budget for a one-time deal to test things out, and then either keep adding milestones or keep working with the freelance on hourly jobs.

I think most people post $$$ and 1-3 months for hourly and then for escrow it's like $100-$200 maybe. That turns into a longer job if things work out. Maybe it's different in other areas like programming.

As a matter of fact, I would say most scammers post very high budgets to get as many freelancers to get sucked into whatever they are trying to do.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS